Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some random questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Just some questions that I have that need answering...

1)What's the difference between tube power amps and solid state power amps? pros & cons...

2)What is the purpose of a power conditioner and compressor in a rig?

3)What makes a pre/power amp setup more appealing than a head? Couldn't you just get a very powerful head for less $$?

4)Bridged power amp...what does bridged mean?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    too much to get into here... I prefer the slowness and natural compression of a valve (tube) power section. I use to like the quickness and punch of solid state, but I find I like a fuller, rounder, more opened tone now.... it's just preference and opinion within the limited selections of each I've used / owned / tried / heard.

a pro and con that isn't too much opinion is that Tube is generally much heavier then solid state.

Power conditioner makes the power from the outlet cleaner for the equiptment. Some do more then others, but they all make your equiptment safer when using iffy electricity sources. A compressor takes your loudest sounds and quiets them as well as taking your quietest ones and makes them louder.

pre/power setups are higher wattage and more modular. You can switch out pre amps to get different sounds... or keep the same pre and tone while upgrading to more power. Very powerfull heads are generally more $$$ then a similarly powered pre/power set up

means both halves of a stereo poweramp are 'bridged' to act as one.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    And while you are at it, you should be asking, "What are the pros and cons of combo amps??" :smug:

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah... lots and lots of questions... but that means you'll learn more. I'm only 17, and some of the old farts on this website filled my brain with low-end wisdom ;)

1) SolidState and Tube... I dont think one is better than the other. Different is the proper word when comparing these 2 fields of power amps. Tube will give you a more classic type of tone... probably somewheres along the lines of The Ramones in the 70's and such. Also, tube amps are louder, which is why they typically arent made any more powerful than 400Watts. Also... there are tube preamps, which is a whole other department. SolidState really isnt much of a loss, unless your REALLY aiming for that tubey tone... SS amps weight MUCH less and are usually more affordable.

2) A power conditioner is basically a rack-mountable Powerstrip. If you have several items mounted in a rack, you can plug them all into the power conditioner, and then plug the power conditioner into an outlet. Also, this will protect your gear from power surges, since there's a breaker built in. I never got into condensers... but I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

3) Pre-Power is WAAAAY Cheaper, for the most part. Example: Ampegs SVT 4Pro is $1300 brand new, and is rated 1200Watts. However, a QSC RMX1450 power amp is $400 brand new, and rated at 1400Watts. You need a preamp to use this though... which you can purchase for $300-$500. Nice Deal, huh?

Pre-Power is more versatile as well... but I'm sick of typing. Someone else can take care of the rest ;)