Some recordings of mine.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sonorous, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, so I've been playing for a year and I decided to record some improvising and host it on and see what people better than I have to say about it.

Issue #1. What do think about the actual musicality of it? How many wrong notes did I use? When I recorded these, I wasn't thinking about key or scales or anything, I just let my fingers move to see what would happen.

Issue #2. What do you think about my tone? I'm not telling you what bass I played, that would make you biased. I'll reveal it later. Of course, you could look in my profile, but that would be cheating. Please don't cheat.

Issue #3. The one thing I don't like about this is that all of the things I make up sound the same. I could sandwich these two things together and it would sound like one take. How should I fix that?

Two songs here.

Thank you for your time.
  2. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    1). Musically, not bad. Obviously shows a lot of jazz influence. In spots you might have hit two or three notes where one would have done the job. You never really got into a groove, although that's hard when you're playing alone. Certainly over all pretty good for a beginner.

2). Tone wise, you've got some very nice bottom going on, but the top frequencies sound "buzzy", rather than lending definition and clarity to your overall sound.

3). There are a couple of things you can do to help. Trying coming up with chord progressions and playing through them with different lines--this will give your line some inherant movement. Also, trying playing in the style of a bassist that you like--don't try to play all of your lines like him/her, but anything you learn will inform the rest of your playing and make it more varied and interesting. Finally, jam with other people, and just respond to their playing.

Hope this helps.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    depends on how the rest of the song goes. A solo instrument can play all wrong notes and be right... To me it matters more how it fits with the rest of the band.

I was gonna guess a P for the first... then I cheated :( I couldn't help myself.

listen and learn LOTs of tunes outside your current tastes and styles. Pay attention to what you've done and write new stuff that doesn't do the same patterns / fingerings. Try singing your bass parts. Jamming with others helps too

all in all... sounds pretty good!
  4. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Ah, I was going to guess P also. Those SXs sound pretty darn good.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, its a P. A $120 SX fretless P with some Labella black nylons.

And I hum along sometimes, but not when I recorded these. It really does help when it comes to finding a groove and making things original.

Both of you, thanks for the good criticism.
  6. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I really liked the high end stuff. It had some pretty good mwah too. That bass is definitley worth the $120. Sounds good and I like it.
  7. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland do sound like a learner.The piece you played,however does show a good sense of timing...excellent in anyone's book.When you look back on today's contribution,say in 10 years,my comments may well hold true.That aside,endeavour to remain calm.Fallon inna Scotland.