some respect

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Hi Tb'ers

My band just played our last gig on a marathon week. We played Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Its great to be getting so much work, but my fingers are shattered. We usually play about once a week.

Just wanted to give a high respect shout out to those who play as a living, it would take some guts. I have to say I'm exhausted and equally proud - its not easy to play till 2 in the morning then back it up with my day job.

For all the s**t we read in the media about bands being difficult etc, I can only imagine how taxing it would be to tour for months on end, playing night after night.

Don't get me wrong, I know that the bigger bands get paid very nicely for their efforts. I'm just saying that as a player, you would have to be fairly fit to keep up.

Your thoughts?

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I've spent alot of time on the road and had many 250+gig years. Alot of tours that have lasted up to 10 months at a time without being home. And you're right, it's super tiring and it beats the crap out of you. That being said, if you take care of yourself while you're doing it, don't succumb to the "party like a rockstar" lifestyle, and can stay focused on just being on tour without alot of stuff going on in your life back home it can be a blast. Even if you do all those things right you can burn out though. It was alot easier when I was younger for sure. Now I'm good for a month or two tops before I need a little rest. It's not for everyone but for those that it IS for, it's addictive.