Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some reviews from GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Sep 24, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I went to guitar center today and played through some very nice stuff, you can check out the thread I made pertaining to the amps I played through here

I played on 3 basses, a warwick passive corvette, spector legend 5, and a MIA J bass.

Warwick Corvette:
    Pros.
    Very meaty sounding, seemed really light compared to what I assumed it would of weighed. Nice low end and although I read that the MEC pups are a little on the crap side I thought they were nice. I played the warwick through an ampeg svt-cl and an 810.

The tone is really just that of warwick, wood sounding, it wasn't "muddy" but it wasn't anything special IMO.

The warwick, felt great and I wouldn't hesitate to buying one if I needed a back up 4 string or anything.

Cons.
    The tone was that of which I have read about, it didn't really appeal to me a whole lot but thats just me. Not a bad bass but not my piece of cake.
    The warick gets an 7/10.

The second bass I played was a spector legend 5.
    Pros.
    Very light and AWESOME finish(black cherry).
    I could get alot of nice sounds out of it, but the EMG's were a little bit to harsh for me.
    I played the spector through a GK rig 2001rb a 410 sbx and a 115 sbx cab.
    It sounded so much more fuller than the 810, I think that was because of the 115.

Cons.
    The high end was a little harsh for my tastes, the string spacing was also closer than what I'm used to on my 5 string, but I would of gotten used to it.

Overall I give it a 9/10 I would really like to own one but it would take some time to dial in my sound.

Third bass I played was a MIA jazz bass, black with black pickguard, and maple FB.

This thing is amazing, I played it through the same GK rig (2001rb 410 sbx and 115 sbx).

Right when I plugged it in I was in heaven, a little bit of adjustments got me exactly what I wanted. The gk EQ is very flexible and it isn't hard at all to dial in a nice tone.

There was no hiss, everything felt like A+++ quality. The feel of it even felt good to me, The high end and low end was all there, nothing lacking IMO.

IME it was the BEST bass I have played to date, which is about 5 years.

Overall I had a great time, and the guys at GC were very helpful.

They had ampeg, gk, along with some SWR combo's and hartke and behringer.

Very nice selection, and I have come even closer to finding my "sound".

Cheers,

-Rob

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Did you try the Jazz through the SWR combo.

Should probably give you a deeper, earthier tone, than the GK.

If that's what you're looking for.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Nah the GK was what I was looking for, I just didn't think I would of found that tone from a GK and a J bass.

4. That's exactly what I hope to own one day. Very nice indeed. :bassist: