1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some reviews from GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Sep 24, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I went to guitar center today and played through some very nice stuff, you can check out the thread I made pertaining to the amps I played through here

I played on 3 basses, a warwick passive corvette, spector legend 5, and a MIA J bass.

Warwick Corvette:
    Pros.
    Very meaty sounding, seemed really light compared to what I assumed it would of weighed. Nice low end and although I read that the MEC pups are a little on the crap side I thought they were nice. I played the warwick through an ampeg svt-cl and an 810.

The tone is really just that of warwick, wood sounding, it wasn't "muddy" but it wasn't anything special IMO.

The warwick, felt great and I wouldn't hesitate to buying one if I needed a back up 4 string or anything.

Cons.
    The tone was that of which I have read about, it didn't really appeal to me a whole lot but thats just me. Not a bad bass but not my piece of cake.
    The warick gets an 7/10.

The second bass I played was a spector legend 5.
    Pros.
    Very light and AWESOME finish(black cherry).
    I could get alot of nice sounds out of it, but the EMG's were a little bit to harsh for me.
    I played the spector through a GK rig 2001rb a 410 sbx and a 115 sbx cab.
    It sounded so much more fuller than the 810, I think that was because of the 115.

Cons.
    The high end was a little harsh for my tastes, the string spacing was also closer than what I'm used to on my 5 string, but I would of gotten used to it.

Overall I give it a 9/10 I would really like to own one but it would take some time to dial in my sound.

Third bass I played was a MIA jazz bass, black with black pickguard, and maple FB.

This thing is amazing, I played it through the same GK rig (2001rb 410 sbx and 115 sbx).

Right when I plugged it in I was in heaven, a little bit of adjustments got me exactly what I wanted. The gk EQ is very flexible and it isn't hard at all to dial in a nice tone.

There was no hiss, everything felt like A+++ quality. The feel of it even felt good to me, The high end and low end was all there, nothing lacking IMO.

IME it was the BEST bass I have played to date, which is about 5 years.

Overall I had a great time, and the guys at GC were very helpful.

They had ampeg, gk, along with some SWR combo's and hartke and behringer.

Very nice selection, and I have come even closer to finding my "sound".

Cheers,

-Rob

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Did you try the Jazz through the SWR combo.

Should probably give you a deeper, earthier tone, than the GK.

If that's what you're looking for.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Nah the GK was what I was looking for, I just didn't think I would of found that tone from a GK and a J bass.

4. That's exactly what I hope to own one day. Very nice indeed. :bassist: