1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

some rig tweaking advice...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by renejaime, Mar 11, 2009.

1. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    quick back story - I used to play upright to slab pretty much 80/20 (high school - college) then with it switched to about 1/99 sad times for my 1890 czech flat back sad times indeed I can hear it whimpering in the corner for some love...

back in the day I was pretty good with a simple rig

underwood + GK400RB + SWR Golliath JR

now I have been dusting off the upright webs and need to look at what I have available to amp my bass.

my inventory:

slab rig:
    Aguilar DB750
    GS112 x 2

possible upright items:
    GK400RB (late 80s model, tried true)
    Underwood
    Realist
    Shure SM57

misc. items
    Behringer XENYX 502 - mini mixer
    Aguilar DB924 - outboard pre

as with many others... times are tight and I really can't invest a good amount for any big items but I'm thinking I can use 1 of the GS112s w/ the GK400RB and... I dig both pickups but I feel/know I'll need a more specific upright pre given my this inventory will I be good w/ just the TB'er built HPF pre or will I benefit to save up for a more robust tool like plat pro? I'm open to other possible suggestions. Thanks.

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I have not used the Fishman Plat Pre, but I do have the HPF-Pre. Since both your amps have EQ onboard, I would say maybe try the HPF-Pre first. Gives you a 10 Mohm impedance input, a high pass filter (duh), and phase reversal.

Some combination of all that stuff you have should at least bring a grin to you and your flatback. :) Actually I'd be curious to hear how the Aguilar 750 sounds with upright. :cool:

P.S. Do both the 750 and the GK have a DI output for the PA? Plat Pre does, HPF-Pre does not. Might be another consideration.

3. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    no DI on the GK... I do have an old IMP DI that I can use though

I haven't really thought about trying upright with the DB750 I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a go.

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I've never used a Plat Pro Pre, but in my opinion you'd be fine with the HP-Pre, that's what I use. The GK400RB doesn't have a DI?? Huh, my 800RB had one, I figured the 400RB would do, I understand they're very similar.

Not a big problem though, every sound guy I've run across has a DI box for the bass, and they're pleased when the amp has a DI instead.

5. the fishman pro plat. has been great straight to the pa. i dont even take my amp to gigs anymore. has a good eq, good di, high pass filter, phase switch, and a compressor.
    sound guys have had no problem with the signal i give them to get a really nice sound.

6. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    so I ordered a HPF pre so my test runs included

me bass > realist a/b'ed with a underwood > GK400RB > GS112

great googley mooogley it was BOOMy so I start in with the pre that helps a bit then the EQ and for the love pete the boom held on with it's teeth showing...

I don't blame the pre and I don't blame the head... so there it is the big arse bass GS112... i love this for slab but I need to find something for upright....

given my current setup... any recommendations, this is for a speaker btw?

thanks

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I don't think the GS112 is the problem (aguilar right?) I have one and I think it sounds good. I've used it as both an ext cab with my GK MB150S and with my AI. Part of the reason I don't use it is the size and it is 8ohms. I bought an EA that is 4 ohms and performs better in close spaces.

I'd try to dial out the boominess with a HPF. I have the Fishman and won't leave home without it.

8. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I've had a Fishman Pro eq for many years. It is the Plat's lower cost brother and doesn't have a lot of its features, incl the compressor and DI, but it's got phase reversal and four-way eq and it has served me well. I recently got a Plat and used it for a few gigs with, variously, an iAmp and Clarus going into a Wizzy10 on top of a Wizzy12. I've been uneasy about the sound I've been getting and yesterday during the first interval I put the Pro back on. Result, a tightness in the attack that I seemed to have missed with the Plat. Strange.

I don't hear the Pro mentioned much. Anyone had any experiences?

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    So you turned the dial on the HPF-Pre gradually up from the lowest setting of 35 Hz and it still sounded boomy? Man, that's different. Hm, dunno.

I see you mentioned a Realist, but did that happen with the Underwood too?

Be glad to talk about speaker recommendations too, but something just seems amiss. Then again it could be me. :rolleyes: