Some Roscoe Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Mar 4, 2004.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ok, as a couple of you know already, I am seriously looking at buying a Roscoe SKB3006 in the next month. But, I still have a few questions for those of you who have played or own one of these.

Is there a big difference in tone with the different fretboard woods used?? My three concerns are the cocobola, spalted purpleheart, and birdseye maple.

What are the differences in tone between an ash body versus a spanish cedar body? (I am looking at either buckeye burl or quilted maple as a topwood)

Has anyone tried/owned one with the Aguilar pre in it?? If so, how does it differ from the Bart pre?? (I have never played a bass plugged in with an Aguilar preamp)

What is the string spacing at the bridge on them?? And what is the neck profile like front to back??

I know I could probably get my answers by doing a search, but I am too lazy right now. :p

Thanks in advance
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you lazy lima bean!
    hey ,man, my .o2 for whatever it's worth:
    I have been diggin the Ash ones.. they seem light and very versatile- I would suspect side by side, Ash would have a little more bite than Cedar, Cedar being slightly more " musical"
    The spalted purpleheart Keith uses has turned out very stable,never heard a complaint against it- personally, I would do that or B Eye Maple- that's probably only because I have never had cocobolo on a fingerboard before- I considered it for my upcoming bass, went with Pau Ferro instead.
    Buckeye can be pourous and soak up a lot of finish, but sonically, every buckeye topped bass I have played has been outstanding- starting with my much missed F bass to the Roscoes that have been thru here lately.
    Demeter preamps will now be offered in Roscoes- I will use the Demeter on upcoming ones to check it out-
    don't anyone kill me for this, but I am just not a fan of the OBP3-
    spacing on a 6 , though I dont know exactly right now ( I am too lazy to search :smug: ) is nice and wide--
    there you go, you lazy bastiche!
  3. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks Adrian. :) I figured I could count on ya to give me a little more info on em.

Isn't the OBP3 a "boost only" preamp?? Or am I thinking of something else??
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I was wondering the same thing, Ryan. I've been looking for a 6'er too, and I've heard of some really good deal on Roscoe's.

I'm slowly discovering that they're probably out of my limited price range :(
  5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    One more thing:

I have heard that Roscoes do not sound very good for slap playing. I don't do a lot of slapping, but I do for some songs.

Is it that they sound that bad, or just not as good as some other basses??
  6. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003

My main question was the string spacing too... My Ibanez is so cramped I dont even play it that much anymore, once or twice a week (its that uncomfortable to me). I def. need 19 or 20 mm.

Also, if those spacings are not avaliable standard, will Keith do the custom spacing?
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    My 2 cents

I'm not a fan or Bartolini for the most part, but the one bass I do seem to really dig the bart stuff in is the Roscoe's. Keith’s Bartolini preamp he uses with the pickups he uses I think sounds wonderful!!

As for slapping, I think they slap wonderful. No its not a Jazz bass sound, but its not suppose to be.

Demeter's are cool, but keep in mind they are active all the time with no passive mode!

I'm with AG on the Aguilar!!!!!! don't like it.........

Only down side I have found to the Roscoe’s are the necks. If ordering one I’m sure it wouldn’t be a big deal to specify what you want. They tend to be a little thick and round and sometimes the string spacing is a little tight for me. But again I’m sure if your ordering one, you could get it how you want because they seem to be very different with each bass so I don’t think he has a standard. The more and more Roscoe's I have come through used lately have really made me start liking the roscoe's more and more. Their probably in my top 5 favorite basses and one of two I don't carry!

From what I know of Keith is a wonderful guy to deal with !!!!
  8. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Ryan, the spacing is no more than 18mm and possibly 17mm, the 5's are 18mm so the 6'ers won't be any more than them. If I recall, Keith does not wire the Aguilars as a boost only, I had a conversation about that one time or otherwise it was the Vol/Vol setup he doesn't do. I guess maybe giving him an e-mail would be the best thing to do on this.

I have owned two Roscoe LG 3005's, one, a Cedar body/Afzelia Burl top with Macassar Ebony fb and the other a Swamp Ash body/Buckeye Burl top w/ Birdseye Maple fb, both had the Bart 3-band pre. I really liked both very much and when I decided to sell one to get the prized F Bass I bought, it took me about three weeks to decide which one to sell because I couldn't make the decision. I ended up keeping the Ash/Buckeye Burl. Both basses sounded and played great but were a little different tone wise. The Ash body combined with the Maple fb had more sizzle to it which is something I like to hear. The Cedar had more bottom and thump to it without as much sizzle, actually, it really sounded like a P Bass except for it kicked more *ss. Weight wise both seemed equivilent to me, never did put them on a scale to find out.

Lastly, I will agree with Adrian and Brian, not a fan of the Aguilar.
  9. Are you talking to me??? (as I pull the pistol out of the holster!!)

The Bart is a much better fit in the Roscoe than the Aggie. I've got a bart on my ash body/purpleheart board lg-3005/ It'll slap just fine!!!! It's no jazz bass, but it sounds great. I've got another ash body.ebony board that has the aggie preamp. I have a love hate relationship with it. I love the bass, it's unbelieavable. However; I always wonder how much better it would sound with the bart in it. I'm sure it would sound better. Now... I've been curious about the Demeter... I'm thinking of putting it in place of the Bart, and putting the bart in place of the aggie.

Anyway... I think you'll do fine with either the spalted purpleheart or the birdseye maple. For my personal opinion... I'd stick with one of those. Hmmm... buckeye burl and birdseye... sounds like a killer looking bass.!!
  10. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, sounds like I will stay away from the Aguilar pre, then. I know I like the Bart preamp in my Modulus............ :cool:
  11. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
  12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree, they are beautiful.

If that one Adrian has in stock was a 6 string, it would be mine. :bassist:
  13. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Roscoe's is purty- i've never played one but they are very nice looking. the aggie obp-3 is cut and boost, the obp-1 is boost only.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I own an SKB-3006 and I can't get enough of it! What a great little bass. The spacing at the bridge is 18mm but Keith will do 19mm. I thought that I would never play anything but 19mm ever and I took a real gamble with this bass. Well, it turns out that I personally prefer the slightly thinnner spacing. As for the thickness of the neck, mine is quite thin and fast. I would never want it to be any thinner.

One more against the obp-3. Terrible preamp.

I'm very happy to see the Demeter as a stock option now. I started this whole Demeter in the Roscoe bit and I'm really glad that I did. I feel that it's much more effective than the Bartolini personally. It's more open sounding and the chosen frequencies are perfect for the bass.

I have to be the one person to suggest cocobola. It has such a great tone. It's right in between rosewood and ebony, with the warmth of a rosewood (being that it is a rosewood) and the bite of ebony. A cocobola fingerboard with a swampash body is a killer combonation.
  15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks for the replies.

Now to try and find the one that I want. Oh well, if it takes a month to find the one that I want, it takes a month. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have the cash lined up anyway, so I have some time. And I just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of my Modulus to finance the Roscoe, so I have to wait a week or two.
  16. Hey Ryan,

I'm sure you've already thought of this... but if you check the inventory list on the Roscoe site, you can find all kinds of stuff in various degrees of completion. You can pick a couple off the site... call your favorite Roscoe dealer... (mine is Adrian and he will hound Keith to get you some pic's of them, and then you can specify how you want the rest to be built. I did that on my last one. All that Keith had was the body (ash with a quilt maple top in a green finish) and I spec'd out the rest. Ebony board, NO inlay at the 12th fret, black hardware... it's a green & black masterpiece. (don't get the aggie preamp!! as you've already determined!)

Anyway.. jsut a thought in case you hadn't already thought about it.
  17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had 2 Roscoes. One with Spanish Cedar and one with Mahogany for bodywood and both had Maple tops. One flamed, one quilted. I loved the Bartolini electronics in both basses. I had spalted purple rosewood boards on both. The cedar seemed to me to be a bit warmer sounding. As far as slapping goes they are tight but with a few hours of playing them I adjusted to it and the sound was quite wicked. It also made slapping on basses with a wider string spacing way easy and clean. Good luck!
  18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Actually, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion, I will go and check that out now. :)
  19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been slapping on a Quantum 5 (narrow spacing, 17mm I believe), so I am used to narrower spacing. If the Roscoe is a bit wider than that, it will definitely be a plus for me.