Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Sad news...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Deppel, Jun 18, 2004.

1. I received a call from my mom back home in Montana today to inform me that my 8 year old cat, Buster, was put to sleep.

It seems that my mom caught him urinating on the carpet in the hall 3-4 per day. She had my dad take him to the vet after 3 days of this, because they both thought he might have Feline Urinary Syndrome again, which he had contracted two times previously.

During the tests, Dr. Melnarik discovered that my cat was actually in advanced stages of diabetes, and was going into renal failure. Rather than have to give him 3-4 shots per day, my parents decided it was best to have him put to sleep, rather than have him suffer due to the shots. They suspect the diabetes may have been caused by the fact that he was a rather girthy cat, weighing in at 25+ pounds.

I'm really having a tough time dealing with this, being 2500 miles from home isn't helping at all. This was a cat that we found alone in a field, suspected his mother had been attacked by some predator, i.e. mountain lion, etc.. He still wasn't weened at this point, and we had to bottle feed him for around 6 wks. Due to this, he never really acted like a cat, but like a human. He opened doors by himself, sat with us at dinner, slept on my bed every night I was home.

I just felt the need to share, and I would appreciate any prayers, etc..

2. As a cat owner myself, this is sad but probably the best for the cat.

Matthew

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Here's to our cats being in a better place now. I'm sure Blue won't mind the company.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sorry for your loss John, you and your Family will be in my Prayers in this difficult time for you. RIP Buster.

5. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm really sorry to hear about that man. I know what you are going through. A few months after I moved down to cali for school my puppy got put to sleep. He and I were like best friends (as pathetic as that sounds) and he would also sleep on my bed at night, etc. He was only 3 years old. :(
    Good luck man, it's a hard thing to get through.

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I feel for you. We just put down one of our cats a couple weeks ago. She had diabetes (only topped out at 19lbs.) and we were giving her 2 shots/day for a few months. Things just kept getting worse even though we became regulars at the vet. Infections and other issues caused her to get sick and we broke down and had her put to sleep just so she wouldn't be in pain anymore. :(

At least your cat won't have to suffer now.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. I lost 2 cats this year. We were living out on a ranch with our 3 horses and we found one of the cats "CARMEL" dead in the tack room on new years day. I think one of the horses stomped on it in the stall and it crawled back into the tack room and died. I took her up the mountain and buried her. I had never done this before, and I guess I did not make the grave deep enough. Some wild animal dug her up and ate her. I found the skeleton picked clean a week later. Not a good way to start the new year... :crying:
    We moved out of there a month ago and a week before we started to pack, "CHUNKY" our 14 year old cat just vanished and we never saw her again... :crying:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

9. So sorry to hear of your losses, Almighty, and anyone else who lost a friend.

Mike :(

10. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    :(
    As a fellow cat lover (I have 3), sorry about your little friend :(

11. I've lost cats to AIDS, a ruptured liver, and a few number of hit-by-car syndrome, so I know your loss.

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My condolences.

I'll still never forget seeing my cat Pepper getting hit by a car right in front of me, very traumatizing. You can be thankful yours was fortunate enough to sleep away.....

But, I'm sure your pet would want you to move on and accept a new little furball of claws as well!