some sansamp BDDI clips - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by django, Mar 12, 2005.

1. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well I´ve just finished my first recording session using a Sansamp BDDI which i purchased thanks to the reviews here! Thank you TB!!

It´s a blend between a miked LAB2 and the Sansamp BDDI, tell me what you think!

First track (3 MB), MIM Jazz fingerstyle:

Second (4.7MB), MIM P-bass (dimarzio pups) played with pick

I could really need some feedback on the playing as well since I´m new to the bass, converted guitar player :bag:
  2. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    really like your sound,
    what where your settings with the sabbdi on the second tune?
    Also like your your style of playing...pretty solid.
  3. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden

Thank you very much!
    well the settings on that song was something like

blend 2 o´clock
    treble 10
    bass 10
    drive 10
    presence 1
  4. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Come on guys, fire away! Good or bad? I can use some criticism :)
  5. I'd say your tone is a bit bland in general. I could hear the grit, but I was especially feeling this blandess in the first loud part where's there's a a definite space between the guitar and your lowest frequencies. I'd say bump up some lower mids and get a little more punch.
  6. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thank you for your advice!

Could it be the guitar that lacks the mids?
    The whole thing is kind of "smiley face" eq:ed.

Do you think that the second track also sounds bland? (recorded with p-bass and flatpick=> more punch?).

Maybe its something that could be fixed in the mastering, if we can afford it :meh:
  7. The 2nd clip is definitely much better (imo). I'd still prefer a little more punch/body to the tone. You've got a decent "lets give the drums some pitch" type tone. It's actually a pretty decent tone. Again, however, I think it could use a some mids in the freq just below the zingy-ish sound.

Not that bad actually.
  8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I usually dial in a bit more high end bite (either via the treble or the presence knob, but never both), but otherwise it sounded pretty good. I liked the tone in the second clip MUCH more, but I've always liked the tone of a bass played with a pick and a bit of grit.
  9. django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thank you guys for taking your time and listen to the tracks! Since I´m a newbie I really appreciate the feedback.

I agree with that the sound on the second track is better. Much because of the P-bass and the pick I think. Don´t really master fingerstyle playing. My P-bass pickup failed on me that day so I had to use the house Jazz with original strings. Then I installed some Dimarzios in the P and that´s what´s you hear on the second track.

What´s interesting, and what I really learned for this recording experience was that the bass itself should sound like crap. On the first track, the sound I heard was actually pretty good, while on the second it was all treble and grit, not much low end.

But when you listen to it with the drums, how the frequencies blend together, it sounds much better IMO.

If anyone´s interested in how the Jazz sounded played with a pick, I have tracks on that as well :)

Again, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming, don't be shy. Be ruthless!