1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

some sound in standby?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Revelation64, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Revelation64

Revelation64

Jan 17, 2009
    I noticed an odd thing at practice last week. When my amp(peavey vb-2 all tube) is in standby mode I can still get sound out of it. Although quiet and very distorted. There also seems to be a volume cutoff. If I turn the gain down on the amp it's not there at all at a certain point. Otherwise it's always the same volume from the amount of gain it takes to make the sound to all the way up. After I figured all this out I stopped doing it just in case it was bad for the amp in any way. So what I want to know is: Is this normal? And can it cause any damage to the amp/tubes?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

3. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Email Peavey.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Active bass? One with enough output could push some signal through even with the plate voltage off. I wouldn't worry about it, it's how the amp works when powered up that counts.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    My '67 Ampeg B15N does the same thing, no active bass. It is now in the shop for other things, but I asked the tech to look into this also. Let ya know later.