Some 'string' questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Godcreep, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Hello guys,

I have some questions if you don't mind :)
    Well, what strings would you guys recommend me, I play fingerstyle, on a Yamaha BB 1500 A (anyone has the same bass ?) I like the 'poppin' sound .. hmm, my english is not that good, I mean, the sound like Steve Harris from Maiden...
    but it has to be very low also ...
    (I play in a hardcore band)

I have bought a DR stringset, 40 60 80 100. What do you guys think of DR (never used it before) are they any good ?

How long can you play with one set ?

Thanx 4 your replies !

2. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Never played'em (though I want to) but they have an excellent reputation.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't know which DR's you have. I have a set of Lo-Riders on my "backup" bass, and they are excellent strings. Nice, deep bass, with as much bite as you want. Steve Harris uses heavy Rotosound flatwounds, but I don't like them. They sound good on his basses, but they didn't seem so hot on mine. I'm not playing the same type of music, but if I were, I'd probably use Lo-Riders.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dear God (creep)- You want that Steve Harris sound? Well DR's are a good place to start, especially if you have the Hi-Beams. But remember - he also has custom Marshall amps, custom Fender Precisions, and a lot of other equipment. I don't know what you have (you don't have any profile information entered).

Any model of DR strings are excellent, professional quality strings (of course they are, I use them ;). Some bassists who use them include; Marcus Miller, Sting, Adam Clayton, Stefan Lessard, Jonas Hellborg, Bootsy, Geezer Butler, Doug Pinnick, and Ryknow, and many others. Last time I read about Steve Harris, several years ago, he was using Rotosound strings. If you have Hi-Beams, you have very similar strings.

As for changing them, that is up to you. Some people think their strings sound "dead" after only a week. Other people, like me, like to use them for at least a month and get some of the metallic, rawness out of them. So, I'd say, change them when they begin to start sounding too dull to you.

By the way, your English is fine. I'm American, but I know that English is a very difficult, crazy, language...especially, "American English"
  5. I don't know what you have (you don't have any profile information entered)

Thanx 4 your replies guys,
    I just updated my profile ...

The strings I bought are DR - High Beam LR-40