Some strings I dont Like...this week.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, May 9, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have tried a few different sets of strings this week as my cavalcade of basses has passed through the Armybass Trading Post. I am pretty well still sold on the DR Lo Riders, TI Flats, and Labella 760 FL's but I wanted to try some new ones out this week to see what I was missing and if I could save a buck or two here or there.

Here they go

1.Fodera Diamond 5 string set. They seemed like they were a way cheaper made string than the price would suggest...almost reminded me of Ernie Ball strings. The thing I did not like about these was the untameable highs and they pulled the hair on the underside of my forearm. I was not knocked out by the slap tone out of the E string but that might be my fault because i may have kinked the string as I installed it. Also the tension is too much for me....maybe the TI's are spoiling me.

2.Jamerson LaBella 5's.....way too heavy. These just dont work for me at all.

3.DR Long Necks.....hated them, they were too long to go through the bridge of a Modudlus. I guess they are for through body basses. Nothing wrong with the string but they did not work for me. Probably my fault.

4.LaBella These tension on these strings is so tight that I can not imagine that anyone could slap with them. They dont sound too bad but they seem to be a better suited for a rock player. But I got them very cheap at Chuck Levins in DC so they were worth a shot.

This is mostly meant as just a taste test. I by no means consider myyself an expert on anything except Krispy Kreme take this with a grain of salt or sugar as you see fit. :bassist:
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I once tried out a set of GHS Super Steels (4-string set). Yuck! Didn't like the tone at all. Sounded very clanky and artificial...

Also tried GHS Progressives, also 4-string set. Decent nickel tone, as I generally prefer. But the A-D-G strings were regular-wound, while the "E" string was taper-wound - meaning that it changed the intonation for my instrument totally. In fact, the bridge saddle for the E string wouldn't even go back far enough to accomodate the taper-wound E. Very strange. I didn't buy a second set...

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Very interesting. Right now I have GHS Contact-Core Super Steels on my Spector NS-2000, and they sound great. They're also refusing to die. When they finally do die, I'm going to try some Fodera nickels. I had the Progressives on my P-bass for a while, and I thought they were pretty good, too.

I tried the Jamersons (I'm talking all four-string sets here btw) on my Franken-P, and they were OK, but... tension was a bit rough as armybass says. Fine for a few songs, but not for 2+ hours of playing.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The only strings that I think flat out stunk were Elixer Nanowebs. What a complete waste of money! They sounded dead from the start, and they sounded dead for a long time.

The only other bad experience that I have had with strings was with DR. For whatever reason, I've gotton dead strings more often with them than any other(besides Elixer of course).

For the most part, I play with what I can afford, and I tend to buy whatever is the best deal. I've been the most disappointed with the more expensive strings for some strange reason. I guess when you pay so much, you kind of get your hopes up.