Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Suggestions for my 24 fret NYC Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cory, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a question that I thought maybe someone out there could help me with. What is the tonal difference in Sadowsky Soapbars and EMG 40J's?? I have a 24 fret Sadowsky 5 string that has the EMG's in it and I would like to take some of the high end treble out of the sound. It's just a little too modern for my ears. When I play my favorite and main Sadowsky (My NYC Vintage 4) and then I play this 24 fret, the difference in sound is HUGE! (Yes, I know they are supposed to sound different!)
    I have primarily used the 24 fret for pit orchestra gigs for plays and shows. Sometimes my fav 4 string was a little too heavy for the pit. So, I got this one that works great for pit work and very technical music, but it has just a little too much high end and it doesn't sound nearly as "Deep" as my other sadowsky's. Would replacing the EMG's with Sadowsky soapbars "fatten" the sound of this bass? I know pick-up placement has a lot to do with the sound of the bass. I'd like to use it for more than pit work these days. Anyhow, I'd appreciate ideas. Thanks! Cory :)

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, take this comment with a grain of salt, but I own a Sadowsky Modern 5, and I've played other basses with the EMG's, and I can tell you that the Sadowsky/Duncan p-ups have a warmer tone and some more lowend as well. Pretty much every bass that I have played that has EMG's has had a really bright/Modern tone aside from the EMG CS line, and even those to me are a little bright for being a mellower sounding p-up.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Does your 24-fret have the vintage tone control? That's supposed to roll off the high end. I talked to Kevin last week, and he said something to the effect that they don't offer the EMG soapbars anymore. Or did he say they were "moving away from them"? Nino?

Actually, I'm glad to hear that the NYC 5-24s have a little crisper tone. I haven't been a big fan of the vintage basses because they just don't seem to have the bite I crave. It'll all come clear in a couple months.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, what Munji said,

the tone control does help with finding a nicer smoother sound.

but the versatile EQ on my Modern 5 gives me an array of tones, from bright and zingy, to fat, low and thick.

5. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Our new soapbars are fuller and warmer than the EMG's. Everyone I know who has replaced their EMG's with them have been happy with the new pickups. You will need to replace the volume pot as well and if you bass has a trim pot anywhere in the control cavity, that should be removed.

Roger Sadowsky