Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatCity, Dec 2, 2004.

1. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Hi all,

My 40th birthday is fast approaching and my wife asked what I would like for a gift. Of course I said that a new bass would be great. I currently have a Jazz bass which I love, but would like to get something a bit different this time. I play classic/hard rock through a Gallien Krueger rig, use flatwounds (TI's), play with a pick about 40% of the time and am not a slapper...I like my bass dark. With these things in mind, I would appreciate opinions on what might be a good fit for a new bass. A P would probably be perfect, but I would like something different. I have been researching the G&L ASAT & L-2000, the EB Stingray & Sterling, and the Warwick Corvette standard- this is the price range that I would like to stay in. The problem is that no local dealers carry the G&L's or EB's so I can't try one out.

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

FC

2. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I am considering Ricks as well. I have owned a Rick in the past and loved the tone- I am just considering all options. It is not often that I get to go out and get any bass I choose :)

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    A Euro Spector....

These are available at some knockdown prices at the moment and are superbly made basses capable of a classic growling rock tone.... :bassist: