Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some SX Questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sutton, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Hey everyone. I plan on buying a fretless Jazz from Rondo next week, and then I'm going to begin the quest to upgrade it. I just have a few problems.

First off, I would like to equipt it with a BadAss II bridge, but I'm not sure if one would fit, do they fit correctly, or will I have to have a different bridge?

Secondly, is the pickups. I have some great ideas of pickups, but I'm having troubles finding some that'll fit the place where the old pickups go. And when I do install the pickups, will I need to install a brand new preamp aswell? Also, could you recommend some pickups to look into getting, I found some barts that would fit, but they are for a 5 string (would it matter?) But other than that, I havent really found anything too much.

Thanks for your help!

2. There is a thread over 165 pages long on SX's alone. Please do a search if it isn't already on the first page.

The BAII is a direct bolt on the SX P's and J's

3. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    The BA II should be a direct 5-bolt replacement for the J-style bridge that comes with the SX. However you will need to have string slots filed into the saddles of the BA II. If you aren't comfortable with this kind of work, its probably best left to your local tech. ;)

J-style pickups are amongst the most popular and widely available out there, so you should have no shortage of choices.

As to whether the four or five string option matters will depend upon the magnetic structure of the pickups. I think bartolini J pups have full length bar polepieces so you should be fine with the five string ones. However, please check with bartolini first, or you might risk a volume dropout on your D string.

The SX J basses are passive, so you don't necessarily need to buy a new preamp. Better pots (i.e. CTS) might make a welcome addition though.

Assuming that SX's have the standard J control routing, most preamps will be a tight squeeze. If you do decide to fit a preamp make sure you do your research and choose carefully.