Some Tabs for a fiver

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by TheSilverKnight, Aug 4, 2009.

1. TheSilverKnight

TheSilverKnight

Jun 2, 2007
    Hey guys I got a five string about 2 months ago.

I have mainly used the 5th as a thumb rest or have been transposing some Drop D and EbAbDbGb stuff but I want some stuff actually for a fiver anyone got any easyish to intermediate stuff for a fiver.

And if not songs at least some fun exercises that cross 5 strings or a few fun riffs.

And I will even contribute myself.

Song of Storms(TLoZ:Ocarina of Time) melody
    G|------7-------7---9-910910910---5-----------------------|
    D|-5h8-----5h8------------------------7---9----79--9----7-|
    A|-------------------------------------------7-9------7-9-9|
    E|----------------------------------------------------------|
    B|----------------------------------------------------------|

G|------7-------7---9-910910910---5-----------------------|
    D|-5h8-----5h8------------------------7---9----79--9-------|
    A|-------------------------------------------7-9------7-----|
    E|----------------------------------------------------------|
    B|----------------------------------------------------------|

A|------5-------5---7-787878------3-----------------------|
    E|-3h6-----3h6------------------------5---7----57--7----5-|
    B|-------------------------------------------5-7------5-7-7|

A|------5-------5---7-787878------3-----------------------|
    E|-3h6-----3h6------------------------5---7----57--7------|
    B|-------------------------------------------5-7------5----|

Fun little melody and a must learn ditty for any Zelda fans. This is my version of just the main melody that drops down an octave seems fitting since the song calls a storm.

2. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    i asked this question some time ago with no answers. so i looked up the only bands i knew that played 5 strings. some of the songs i'm not skilled enough to play yet. but i can play these few songs:

311 - beautiful disaster and all mixed up
    staind - take it
    i tried playing mudvayne - death blooms but i really can't slap.
    you can find them on ultimate-guitar.com

but if you were interested in other 5 string bands, try static-x, phish, and damage plan

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    What kind of music are you looking for?

Bands that use/used a low B in one form or another:

Audioslave
    No Doubt
    Reel Big Fish
    Breaking Benjamin (Bb)
    Metallica
    Slipknot
    Korn (A)
    Limp Bizkit
    Incubus
    Staind
    Disturbed
    Tool

4. TheSilverKnight

TheSilverKnight

Jun 2, 2007
    I can play and enjoy any style accept I can only slap on the 3 low strings I can't pop to save my life. I am not into down tuning so if it is lower than a B I am not gonna get a larger gauge just to play it I enjoy listening to metal thoroughly but I can't play most of it because of sever down tuning and my utter retardation when it comes to pick playing.

However I wasn't aware No Doubt did five string that would be fun to learn is it any of the ragga sounding stuff that is in the low B or more of their poppy stuff?

Also anything Grunge sounding would help to since all the original songs by the band I am bassist for are nirvana style grunge and and bringing a new kind of dirty to the table would be fun.

5. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I believe Tony uses the 5 on "Simple Kind of Life," "Just a Girl," “Ex-Girlfriend,” and “Too Late.” Maybe a few others as well.

6. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    good call on metallica. dave mathews band uses a five string now that i think of it.

7. TheSilverKnight

TheSilverKnight

Jun 2, 2007
    You have an accurate Tab for Just a Girl Sheet music is fine to I can trad I just can't read and play

>.> 0_0 <.< Don't look at me like that!

Any who all the ones I have looked at are Tabbed for 4 strings and I don't really have the mindset at this time of night to drop it down an octave or figure out what is supposed to be where.

8. metalandjazzman

metalandjazzman

Oct 22, 2008
    I think most heavy metal band's play with five strings. I got a squier five string
    and i think i a good bass to play jazz with cause it has small frets and i got hevy gauges on it. So it make a good double bass sound.

9. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Sorry I do not. I'm fairly certain he only uses the B for the low D on the verses.

10. I think one of the advantages of a low B 5er is to allow playing songs that are Drop D, C#, half step down, etc...

Also it allows you to play lower (I mean higher in pitch) on the neck, if your comfort zone is closer to the 5th fret.

Otherwise I do not know songs that the whole B1 to G5 range of a low B 24-string 5er.

I have seen Ray Riendeau use the whole range of his 5er but he plays an EADGC.

11. funkmasterjay

funkmasterjay

Aug 30, 2009
    Try some songs by Children of Bodom

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Try this one. Not so much use of the B string, but very wisely used, IMO.

13. I have been jamming Audioslave's Shadow On The Sun using my 5 string. And I have checked with the tabs and they all concur that the 5-string in the way to go. Yet when I watch Audioslave's Cuba DVD, Tim Commerford plays a 4-string on that song.
    I am confused on how he is getting that low B. Any ideas?

14. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Mr. Bungle.
    /thread

15. the only songs metallica use a 5 on, atleast on the studio recordings are sad but true and suicide and redemption, if its not S&R its another oneof DM, FYI :):bassist:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021