Some things I was thinking about when restringing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassplayer92, Jan 9, 2006.

1. I was putting on some new strings tonight and started to wonder about a couple of things. I looked through all the string thread titles and didn't see anything that would answer these questions:

What is an average amount of time for new strings to start staying in tune after they are first put on? These strings seem to be all over my tuner. So is there a break-in time for strings before they stay in tune consistantly?

Is the tone (or any other property for that matter) of a string affected at all by how much of the string is wound around the tuning peg? In other words if you wrap the end around the tuning peg more times, are you more likely to get a darker or brigher tone?
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    1) Tug all the strings upward (away from the body) one by one to get any slop off the tuners. This is why your strings are going out of tune. Then retune the string. Not too hard though or you'll break the string. Do this several times till the string doesn't downtune when you stretch it.

2) No, the # of wraps will not affect tone but you need to put atleast 2 or 3 on there so the tension is right.

Hope that helped. :)
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    And if its not tight, you'll just get an annoying buzz and it will annoy the crap out of you.

You can cheat this if you have a tilted headstock though
  4. Thanks for the information! I've been tugging them lightly in the middle straight up, so I'll try to go the other way.

This time I wound a lot of string around each post. I never thought about the number of times wound around the post would affect the tension!

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use Sperzel tuners.
    When I change strings, I play a bit, retune, tune again one hour after and then they won't move again.