Some thoughts (on growing up)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Oct 19, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

I don't know what you'd call a rant that was positive, but this is one:)

I just got home from my first EMT-Basic class. Just being there has made me realize something: This is for real.

I've realized that some day somebody's life could be in my hands, and I'd have to take action to save them. Before, I was a relatively carefree kid, just chilling with friends and everything a 16 year old does, but now I realize that I have to grow up, and real fast.

Other things have sunk in, such as the fact that I need to start planning for college, get my license, get a job, and really start focusing on my school work.

The realization feels overwhelming and scary, but it is reality. I think of my friends now, and how they are pretty laid-back and just goof off, and how I cannot do that anymore.

I'm sorry if what I'm writing doesn't make much sense, but it feels good to let it out. I guess tonight I finally came to see "real life".

2. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow man, they let you get your EMT without being 18? Haven't heard that yet, you gotta be 18 out where I'm at. Is that national or state registry?

Regardless, good luck. Study hard, try and keep calm during the artificial scenarios. I just got back from a two day refresher this weekend. Fun? I dunno. Necessary!
  3. Well you've taken the first step in deciding what you need to do ( ie. planning your future )
    Cause what you do now will have a bearing in the future
    So don't be alarmed everyone has been through it at your age
    ( we'll maybe not everyone )
    I'm sure you'd know what your goals are now just plan ahead of what you need to do to reach them
    Anyway all the best for the future
    and keep cool till after school :cool:
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    A Rave

Growing Up's a constant psych-out. When I turned 18, I thought about the same things you mentioned, mainly because I was choosing a college; I got really nervous and anxious. Then I got to college and realized I had gotten worked up about nothing. I've psyched myself out several times before that only to find it was not that big of a deal.Now I'm going through a similar phase and finding out it's still not that big of a deal. Perhaps I'm just apathetic, or just incredibly well-adjusted, but I've done this in the past, and I'll probably do it in the future, so I guess what I'm saying is: Don't worry yourself too much, and get out some. School is important, but not so important as to rule your life.

That's it, oh, and invest in plastics.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    D:------ 0-0-2-----0-0-2-----0-0-2------2-2-0------------

Well i guess this is growing up.... poppunk4lief.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    So life begins. And you have a head start. Always remember not to take yourself too seriously and find the humor in everything. Those two skills will smooth the ride big time. ;)
    Oh, and post when you play. Maybe I'll take the ride up.
  7. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    what on earth is EMT?
    american teenagers on here are so weird!
    they're either really childish and pop-punk rebels, or totally deep and full of cliched realisations about life.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Emergency Medical Technition. It's the beginning/volunteer stages of being a paramedic. There are 3 levels of EMT, 1-3, and then the next level up is Paramedic. Roughly.

My mother did the EMT 1-3 thing, and then became a paramedic. Also picked up firefighting qualifications in Alaska, Washington, and Oregon while she was doing the EMT-3 and paramedic thing.

Being her son is like going to a bunch of first aid and medical classes for free. It's brilliant. She still has all her texts, I think. I could score myself some hardcore emergency medical knowledge for free like that.

And not all of us. Some of us are too busy being apathetic.
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    that's a pretty cool thing to do actually. if i ever cut my head off or something, i'll PM you for advice :p

yeah, i meant the younger teenagers. 13-17 year olds. and not all of them. just most of them.
    i don't think much self-reflection goes on in those years which takes into account any position in the wider world.
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    And what is wrong with that :eyebrow:

:ninja: GOTH! :ninja:
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Hey Vince, that's great that you can recognize that you are about to enter the adult world - BUT, don't get too serious about growing up too soon. It is also very important to be a kid while you still can. I'm not advising you to do anything foolish that would jeopardize your plans for the future, but don't forget to be a kid. Do hang out with friends and if the urge strikes you to be immature and silly - go for it (while hanging with friends, not at EMT training) Do kid / teenager stuff - go to PG 13 movies, be involved in extra curricular activities at school. Get goofy over girls. Don't let your intelligence and motivation trick you into giving up your youth. If you do, you'll likely look up from your desk at age 30 or 40 and wonder what happened to your youth and why you never did all the things you wish you had. Balance. Be an intelligent and motivated teenager with a vision for the future, but still be a teenager. My $.02
  12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    National Registry requires you to be 18. Must be state or municipal if it allows under 18.

Anyway, good luck on the EMT courses.
  13. Welcome my son. Welcome to the machine.

That's cool that you're going EMT. It's a tough series of classes. Especially the texts. Pics of guys with various broken limbs, random objects in them, gunshot wounds, etc. All real.:eek:

I'm sitting here realizing that in just 2 short terms I will have my degree, and then I have to go find a studio that's hiring. I'm just a scared and hopeful as you are, and I'm 21!!

BTW, Flogging Molly concert tonight!! Crystal Ballroom, too, which is a great local. Some of us simply never loose our youthful exhuberance. I need a nap.

Rock on
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Planning for your future? Pshh.

I'm going to be a hermit and live in the woods. I'll learn to talk to all the animals and get them to do my work.