1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by With Lime, Apr 28, 2009.

1. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    So I got some well worn flatwounds from a friend of mine who had them lying around, put them on my P-bass to try them out, I absolutely love the feel of them, so smooth and silky, so much easier on the fingers. As for the sound, I dunno, I can barely tell the difference. I mean I guess it sounds different, maybe? So here is my dilemma, I want to put flats on my five string jazz (cause I love the feel) but I'm worried that even though I won't be able to tell the difference in sound, others will and won't enjoy my sound etc. I've heard that half rounds just don't live up to the "best of both worlds" hype and the one set I felt was pretty darn rough. I suppose ultimately I should just slap a set on there and try it (and likely will soon) I can always change it. However I wanted to get some other opinions though just cause I can. You people are all so knowledgeable! Thanks in advance.

2. If you love the feel of them, and they sound about the same as the rounds you are using, then why not? This is, of course, if you like the sound of the rounds you are using now.
    Both D'Addario and Tomastic-Infield sell 5 string sets in Flats, and I believe Ernie Ball and LaBella do as well. Another possibility is to take a regular 4 string set of GHS Precision Flats and order their .125 string to go with it.
    I can vouch for the D'Addario set. They are a little brite compared to most flatwounds, but this enables them to cut through the mix when you need it. While they are not light tensioned, they are a little less than most other brands of flats.
    I wish you well in your search.

FG

3. I haven't heard that often. Lime, I'm VERY curious what Rounds you were using.

On your question, it might be worth trying the set of flats you now have on the Jazz & keep the Round B. See what people think. I'd suggest not telling them & see if anyone objects. Just an option.

Myself, I'd restring the Jazz with Flats, show up, & play. There's times you can use the "it's only bass" card to your advantage ;)

4. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    The rounds I was using were EB super slinkies. I got them brand new, so it's not like they were dead. The flats I'm using, I dunno, they came from a bucket of misc. bass strings, likely sat there for years and years but I don't have any idea how much they were played. Sadly I think sometimes I must be somewhat tone deaf, I was expecting this huge drastic difference, I hear some difference I suppose, but it's so slight that I'm not sure if it's just because I want to hear a difference, I think tommorow I'm going to bring my old slinkes (which are still pretty much brand new, I didn't use them much) and put them on my friends P-bass (which is the exact same as mine) and do a direct side by side comparison. Out of curiosity, what would you folks say the absolute "brightest" set of 5 string flats are, and how would you compare them to the "warmer" rounds? Also, if need be, how well do you think one could EQ flats to hide their "true" identity?
    That's promising, I like D'Addario as brand name, mayhaps time to quest for some!
    Thanks to both of you for your quite helpful thoughts/advice!