Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

some tips please!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass__player01, Dec 15, 2002.

1. hi everybody!!!
    this christmas, i'm gonna receive my first bass from santa... and i'd like a few starting tips...

i've been playing guitar for about a year, and a few other instruments before, so i've got a good music knowledge... but what i'd really like is some bass tips... and maybe a few easy songs to learn.

thank you...

2. don't play with a pick. learn fingerstyle.
    easy songs to learn-longview by greenday is a cool line. fun to play; dunno if you're into them though. check out nirvana; wicked cool simple bass lines. look at "lounge act" and "pennyroyal tea"; two of my favorites.
    as in all new ventures, keep an open mind.:cool:

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Try to learn to play with correct finger positions right away, it will pay off in the long run, and go slow as your hands will get tired very easily compared to guitar. Take frequent breaks when practicing and do some stretching now and then. Maybe it sounds silly, but your hands will love you for it in the long run if you get good habits from the start.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    One thing I always told people I taught to play was, proper fingering and the inportance of learning scales. You may not understand now but down the line you will. Don't get hung up right away with playing any songs until you get some command of the instument. Alot of bass players you will hear (like the ones on those real easy songs) that people say you should learn are not really great players and by studying to play what they are doing you will only stagnate yourself. Don't try to learn the bass in a week it is a forever ongoing process. And last but not least practice practice practice :)

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    MY suggestion is that you get a teacher. :) He/she will help you with all of the above suggestions, and then some.

6. Thank you all!!!

i'll try to follow your advices

:)