1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some tone help fellas!and Ladies!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sbbassslapper, Apr 28, 2006.

1. So i remember the whole reason i started playing bass was because of a bassist for a local band called Liquid6Teen. Well i've been trying to get my tone as close to his as possible and was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers. Now i don't know what his settings where, but i know what mine are and i can't figure out if i'm missing some gain or mids or both to my tone. Let me know what you think.

Samples of his tone is on this site...

www.myspace.com/liquid6teen
    (listen to the song Killer of killers, or One Nation and you should be able to hear it well enough)

My tone is on here...

www.myspace.com/sourblood
    (I'm not sure which song will be the easiest to hear my tone because i don't play by myslef, but i know i can hear it.)

Now here is what he was playing through:

Fender Jazz Bass (4-string) (has p&j pick ups)
    Hartke 3500 head
    SWR workman's 4x10 cabinet
    sansamp bass driver

Here is what I'm playing through:

Ibanez Ergodyne EB-600 (4 string)
    Ampeg B5R Head
    Ampeg 4x10HE
    Peavey BW 1x18
    SansAmp Bass Driver

I wish I knew what his settings where to help you more, i know that there are major differences in the cabs and amps themselves, but i much appreciate any guidance that you can give me.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The only song that I actually heard the bassist's tone is Killer of Killers and only during his little break in between verses. For that sound I would use a pick with fresh strings and possibly boost your highs if that still isn't bright enough.

I definitely couldn't hear him on One Nation, I'd be willing to bet he has a "smiley face" eq for that song and the others and he probably punched in using different eq settings in for his little break. Combine that with playing root notes and being low in the mix and he gets buried under the guitar pretty easily.

3. Raiven

Raiven

Nov 28, 2005
    It'd be your Ibanez.

That bass has such an alien sounding tone it's quite hard to get it sounding good and punching through.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I can't listen to the tracks now, but if you are looking for a bright tone, the the Ergo is the WRONG bass. I briefly owned one, and that was the dullest, deadest sounding bass I have ever heard. No combination of strings or eq could help it. Sounded like a DB with more sustain.

Have you considered e-mailing him and asking him about his settings. Given that they're not uber-famous, he might be willing to tell you his settings via e-mail.

5. the unfortunate thing is that they are no longer together as a band, the guitarist is the only member left and he wants us to come by and jam with him and i thought he may want the same kind of tone coming from my bass, i also have the LTD-ESP 205 that has brighter tone to it... would this help?

( i know that about a year ago when they were still together, that he like to have his mids and gain cranked..... but in that break he does seem "bassey") i think my tone is close but i don't know if you can tell by listening or not, i can't think of where i have a break of me just playing, but i play riffs that aren't allways following the guitars.)

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    To me it sounded like there were no mids, let alone cranked mids. It pretty much has the traditional nu-metal scooped sound to me. New strings, low action, crank the highs and lows, play with a pick, and maybe dial alittle bit of grit on the sansamp.

7. hey man, when you say dial in some grit on the sans amp, are you talking about the presense and drive? i know the level just makes it way louder with out turning up the master on the amp.

Thanks again for the understanding, i was way off!

8. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Yeah by grit i mean mainly the drive control. Too much presence and it'll get really clicky sounding. However, some people like that, just not my thing. But experiment and come up with something that sounds good.

Then you bring it to practice and realize you can't hear it, then switch it around more until you find something that works within a band. Or at least that is what always happens to me.

9. I know exactly what you mean dude, i always get compliments on my tone all the time, at shows, and especially from my band, they tell me to keep it, i change it a little, and their like dude that sounds awesome...

Thanks for the help dude, i cut the mids and it sounds so much better, is there anything wrong with the nu-metal sound like that? i don't find myself missing mids so much because thats what the guitars are their for to me, One thing that i have is a recording where everything sounds so good, and then u hear the bass by itself and it sounds so dull and lifeless, thats one thing i never wanted people to think about mine!

Thanks again man!

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Why don't you ask him? That's the surest way to find out. He would probably be willing to go through a couple of settings that he uses on each song. Drop an email to the band. I ain't a proud man. I admit that I've done it before. I'm sure he'd be stoked on the compliment.

11. Oh trust me dude, i would have asked him by now, but when the lead singer left the band for religious reasons, the band pretty much disbanded. Bassist practically dissapeared from the face of the earth, no one has heard from him, except that he's getting married, and i doubt that he still has his rig anymore.... i was playing with them this past weekend and according to the guitarist he liked my tone better so who knows. mines closer, but it has more bass and punch to it. I think his hartke head may have added to it, i remember it having eq that he adjusted, i doubt it was just the sans amp that he was using. i remember when he would turn it off that it still had a bit of grit to it, the sans amp does wonders for solid state amps.