Some Top Wood Help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    They both look like burl(as for what kind im not sure) and as for the second it looks natural because under the bridge there is a bit of blonde, showing that the top wasnt died.
  2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I could be wrong but it looks to me like Buckeye Burl...
  3. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    BUckeye burl
    problem solved

Buckeye, Horse chestnut (aseculus californicus)
    is actuell blond in color.
    after the burls are cut they are stacked wet and mold and other fungi are allowed and encouraged to attack the wood leaving it stained green, blue , pink purple and even penline spalt.

pretty stuff! very light and has the consistancy of cork.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Top one is buckeye burl, bottom one is Madrone burl, and neither is stained.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not that there's much myster left :)D ), but since the photo of the LG is from my site, I can confirm that it is buckeye burl. That particular piece had great color and was completely covered by tight cluster-burl figure. When you see Buckeye used for bass tops, you don't usually see pieces like that. For both pieces, as was mentioned, the color that you see is the natural color of the wood. Both basses are sporting a clear, gloss finish. ;)
  6. Thanks so much for the info, helped me out a lot!!!! :hyper: I just bookmarked your site.. awesome stuff. :bassist:
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    You'd never think something described as "mouldy wood" could look so beautiful. The wonders of nature.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

True, and that's not the only use of 'moldy' wood. Spalt tops are also caused by fungus in the wood.
  9. So the second (reddish) one is called Madrone Burl, Horse Chesnut, or are they both Buckeye Burl (which in that case I am still confused on why one is red)?
  10. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    So if I were to use it as an paddle and dropped it in the water, it would float? That's good to know!

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The first bass is buckeye burl. Buckeye burl is another name for the burls that form under Horse Chestnut trees...they're pretty much the same thing.

The second one is Madrone burl. It is naturally red...that's just its pigmentation. Red wood is really not that uncommon....think of a redwood tree ;) Wood can naturally come in purple (purpleheart, katalox), pink (pink ivorywood), yellow, etc....pretty much any color out there.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  13. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    sorry, I only commented on the first , I didnt even pull up the second link but it seems as though the top is madrone, anohter west coast wood that is pinkish in appearance and needs to be steamed (pressure cooked) to bring out the pink color and stabilize the burl!

If you want to see some natures wierdest at work pull up the madrone bass and look at the cream colored wood (sapwood) behing the bridge and you'll see a little bent line thats not quite the same texture as the rest of the cellular material in the sapwood., like a little smile, its a worm track! They pack the processed sawdust behind them as they go. Bugs, and worms (or it looks like a powder post hole beetle size to me) live between the bark and the sapwood often burrowing and living off of the trees sapwood!
  14. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh

yup every color naturally but blue and the mold (cillin) takes care of that!

yellow- satinwood, pau amarillo, yellow box
    Red - chake te koke, redwood MANY more
    Pink- madrone and pink ivory, carob
    purple- kingwood, camatillo,and obvouisly purpleheart
    Orange- chatke viga, tulipwood bosse
    Green- lignum viate, verawood
    Black- ebony
    white- american Holly
    gold- maidou burl, desert ironwood
    Brown.... like I need to put anything here!
    Blue- Moldy buckeye burl!

Its just like the lucky charms box!:hyper: