1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some truly brilliant ideas from Joe Nerve

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I intitially had just a chat suggestion but figured since I'm starting a thread I'd throw out a few ideas that people could chime in about if they wanted. Want to say first also that I don't even know if the suggestions here are possible cuz I know incredibly little about internet/forum/website functioning - but here goes anyhow:

1. Chat. The warwick site has the chat running at the top of the forum. I think that's a pretty good idea cuz as much as I hate chat rooms, I find myself almost getting sucked in at times. Check it out - http://forum.warwick.de/ . I think that might be cool here, only with the option in our preferences to not have it if we don't want it.

2. Search function. I don't know the reason behind 1 or 2 letter words not being searchable, but if possible I think it would be really beneficial to make it possible for a certain bunch of important ones on a bass forum, ie; GK, P, MM, B (as in B string), F (as in F bass)... you get the idea.

3. I always wished there was a way (and perhaps there is that I don't know about) to search for members under a city and/or state. It would be incredibly beneficial for gig swapping, making contacts for tours, vacations, whatever. Would be nice also just to know all the talkbassers who are around my parts. Good for networking, checking out each other shows, etc.

I have lots of other brilliant ideas but I'll leave it at this for now. :)

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm humbled by the enormous amount of responses.

OK.

Fine!

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    TB had a chatroom, Paul closed it for lack of use/cost ratio.

A Unofficial TB Chatroom was started, see my signature, its closing down Friday May 1st. Same reasons.

:atoz:

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Love the geography based search. Seconded. And for tha matter I'll throw in on the short term search as well, but I thought that had been discussed and wasn't feasible with current database.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    1. Not so brilliant... see post #3

2. Brilliant

3. Brilliant

2 out of 3 ain't bad. :)

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I admire so many things about TB and the way it is run and developed, but the search function really is weak. I get grumpy when new people fail to search, but then they point out how the search really doesn't work a lot of the time, and all I can say is "well grumble grumble you're right, never mind". When telling someone about the search they should try, I have to give them instructions like "click on search, then click on advanced, then enter your query in the Google search not the regular one, and then try to sort by date or something..." TB's search sorts by date (mostly, not always) but the Google one sorts by relevance, not date, so you get threads from the last eight or so years all jumbled together.

I'd like it if two-letter words were allowed (DI!!!) and if some kind of limited boolean or phrase function were incorporated so that two words in quotes or parens or with a '+' would be searched on in that specific pairing.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I find a Google search of the site with quotes or other parameters usually gets round the issues with the search function. So, to search gk, go to Google (or use the Google box on the TB advanced search page or the usual search link at the top of each page) and type the following in the search box, including the quotes:

"gk" site:talkbass.com

If you're searching from TB rather than from the Google homepage, you only need the "gk" bit (still in quotes). For some reason, I usually go to the Google homepage to search, but that's just habit.

Then use the "search within results" function if necessary (eg, search for 2009, or 04-28-2006, or Today, or cab, or JimmyM, or "F bass" - note the quotes - or whatever). This link may be of interest.

http://www.googleguide.com/

Searching a big database is always going to take a bit of artful find-fu, whether you use an inhouse TB search or Google. It's just the way it is, I suppose. If there were five hundred people on here and you wanted to find out about bubinga fretboards, 'twould be a doddle (as long as someone had posted about that topic, obviously). But TB is BIG and finding a specific bit of info about GK out of thousands of posts is likely to take a bit of detective work, even for guys like bongomania, who clearly understands how all this stuff works. :)

(And sorry to anyone else for sounding obvious if you already know more than I do about this.)

For the geographical thing, click the Members List link at the top of pretty much any TB page, then click search and then advanced search. You'll see that it can already be done by searching based on the Location field.

As for the chat - meh.

8. The default full TB search IS google, so you can use two or one or however many letters you want.
    On the top blue bar, hit Search, and then entry your query next to the the "Google search TB" button.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you put a "year" in your Google search terms, it helps reduce the number of hits and keeps most of them within the year you choose.

I think one limitation of the "location" search is that there is no standard description that everyone has to use, i.e. Los Angeles, L.A., LA, So. Cal, etc.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yes, very true. Hence the need for a bit of "find-fu" as I mentioned. It really helps to think along the lines you suggest there, as in "What else might people type to mean the same thing/place I do?"

11. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    wish we could have had zip codes in our profile and then could use a search based on zip codes.