Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some Upcoming Shows

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Michael Manring, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi folks,

I've got a bunch of solo shows coming up so I hope you don't mind if I do a little self-promotion and list them here. I hope you'll come out and say hello if I'm playing near you. Thanks!

Fri. & Sat. Aug. 16 & 17
    Stevens Point, WI
    Clark Place
    1009 Clark Street
    (715)343-1530
    (800)660-5020
    solo with guitarist Ken Bonfield
    Beth Wood opens
    Special live recording event! Please come and be part of a new CD!

Sun. Aug. 24
    Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia Folk Festival
    with singer-songwriter John Gorka

Wed. Sept. 3
    Waitsfield, VT
    The Eclipse Theater
    Mad River Valley Center for the Arts
    Rt. 100
    (888)212-1142
    solo
    stick player Greg Howard opens

Thu. Sept. 4
    Cambridge, MA
    Ryles Jazz Club
    212 Hampshire St.
    (617)876-9330
    solo

Fri. Sept. 5
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Fire
    412 West Girard St.
    (267)671 9298
    solo

Sat. Sept. 6
    New York, NY
    The Bitter End
    147 Bleeker St.
    (212)673-7030
    solo

Sun. Sept. 7
    Charlottesville, VA
    The Gravity Lounge
    103 South First Street
    (434)977-5590
    solo

Mon. Sept. 8
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Quiet Storm
    5430 Penn Ave
    (412)661-9355
    solo

Tue. Sept. 9
    Cleveland Heights, OH
    NightTown
    12387 Cedar Rd.
    (216)795-0550
    solo

Wed. Sept. 10
    Covington, KY
    Jack Quinn Emerald Ballroom
    112 East Fourth St.
    (859)491-6699
    solo

Thu. Sept. 11
    Detroit, MI
    Jacoby's
    624 Brush St.
    (313)962-7067
    solo

Fri. Sept. 12
    Chicago, IL
    Elbo Room
    2871 N. Lincoln Ave.
    (773)549-5549
    solo

Sat. Sept. 13
    Cudahy, WI
    Vnuk's
    5036 South Packard Ave.
    (414)481-1655
    solo

Thu. Sept. 25
    San Diego, CA
    Victor's on the Bay
    2702 N. Mission Bay Dr.
    (858)490-3389
    solo

Fri. Sept. 26
    Los Angeles, CA
    Molly Malone's
    575 S. Fairfax Ave
    (323)935-1577
    solo

Sat. Sept. 27
    Redwood City, CA
    Bass Quake!
    Fox Theater
    2215 Broadway
    (650)FOX-4119
    solo, with fellow bassists Dave Pomeroy, Bill Dickens, Mike Dimin, Keith Horne, Trip Wamsley, Brian Allen, Robert Hurst and Todd Johnson

Sun. Sept. 28
    Oakland, CA
    Imusicast
    5429 Telegraph Ave.
    (510)601-1029
    solo

Wed. Oct. 1
    Eugene, OR
    Café Paradiso
    115 West Broadway
    (541)484-9933
    solo

Oct. 2
    Government Camp, OR
    The Ratskeller
    (503)272 3635
    solo

Oct. 5
    Government Camp, OR
    The Ratskeller
    (503)272 3635
    solo

Fri. Oct. 17
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    The Dance Palace
    503 B St.
    (415)663-1075
    with Larry Kassin and Tom Darter

Fri. Oct. 24
    Burien, WA
    The Barrel
    11051 First Ave S.
    (206)244-7390
    9PM
    solo, with William Maxwell & Doug McGrew

Sat. Nov. 8
    Jenner, CA
    Stillwater Cove Ranch
    solo

Sat. Feb. 7, 2004
    St. Medard, FRANCE
    Cordes Sensibles Guitar Festival
    solo

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Too bad none of these shows are close enough for me.

Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly.

Do you enjoy traveling?

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm looking forward to seeing you at the barrel in burien! thanks for the post :D

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nothing in Atlanta.

There's a new club here called The Five Spot that might be a good fit for you. We're playing there on Friday, and apparently, they have a surround sound PA. :-D

Could be fun!

If you haven't seen Michael live, you simply must go if you are lucky enough to have him playing near you.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, no kiddin'...he did two clinics up here in seattle about a year and a half ago that were SMOKIN'.

6. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I'll hopefully be there in Eugene. kickass! something to look forward to.. weeeeee

7. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I should be at the concert/recording session in Steven's Point, WI! Hmm, I never actually posted a review after I saw you with Scott McGill & Vic Stevens in april... I oughta write a post to that effect after this weekend...

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got excited as soon as I saw Cleveland listed in the Manthing newsletter. I tried calling for tickets but they won't have any info on it until next week :meh:

Michael, do you have any plans for what instruments you're bringing or what pieces you will play? I've never seen a live solo bass gig, so I'm really excited to see the show. I just hope they have tables up close; I'm legally blind and I have a terrible time seeing performers when I'm more than 10 feet away.

9. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, everybody. I look forward to meeting those of you who can make it to the shows! Plans are currently underway for tours in the rest of the U.S. and some stuff in Europe, too, so I hope I get a chance to meet a lot of Talkbassers (Talkbassees?) in the coming months.

To answer your questions: I have to admit I'm pretty sick of airports and airplanes, but I love traveling to different parts of the world, meeting people and finding out what life is like away from home. And I REALLY love having the opportunity to play music for folks!

On this tour I'll be bringing three basses, all made by Zon – the Hyperbass, a little headless fretted we call "Vinny" and a fretless that's sort of a cross between a Zon Sonus and Hyperbass. I'll probably play a little different set every night with pieces from my solo recordings, some covers and probably a few things that aren't released yet. I usually try to keep things pretty spontaneous.

Bryan, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a seat up close at the Cleveland show. NightTown is a small club!

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    cool... A guy that I play with's brother owns The Fire...See you then !

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Awesome. Thanks Michael-can't wait to see you!

12. jjonah

jjonah

Aug 21, 2003
    I caught the show last night in Detroit.

Wow!

I loved the diversity of the material - from the display of lightening slap chops to tasty melodies to a very dynamic rendition of Bach's Cello Suite in G Major (Pablo Casals would be proud) to impressive (and very musical) use of altered tunings/harmonics to a great medley of classic tunes (beatles, cream, jazz standard, etc.).

What a great show!

13. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    No love for Canada?

;) Hope it's going well!

14. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, guys! This tour has been a lot of fun. Still trying to work out a Canada trip...

15. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I am gonna be at that benefit show you are doing on the 24 for the Salvation Army (an actual show in my town of all places). I wanted to ask you personally if it was cool to video tape it.

16. Ahah, yes Michael, you have an large amount of fans up here in Canada who'd LOVE to watch you play. Try to get a few shows in Western Canada (Like Edmonton ;D). Thanks man.

17. sorry i missed you when you were near philly and new york,i had the privilegde of sitting in your classes at Gerald Veasleys Bass Boot Camp in Reading this past summer ,hope all is well with you on your tour maybe next time i wont be so busy hope to see you someday again
    peace
    frank

18. Damnit, I got all excited when I saw there were a few shows in my area (The LA show at Molly Malone's, and the San Diego show) but then I found out that they were 21 and over. Which doesn't work since I'm 19 and my friend is 17.

Can't you play at like a McDonalds or somethin?

Or maybe you could get us exclusive backstage passes or something!

Or maybe not...

19. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much to everyone who has come out to the shows so far. It has been a pleasure meeting you and I'm looking forward to meeting West Coast TBers in the coming weeks. I can see I'm really going to have to work on getting more all ages shows, though! Let's hope it doesn't come to playing at McDonald's!

I'm OK with video taping my shows as long as the venue doesn't mind and it doesn't get in anyone's way. However, I do request that you bring mics for the audio as I really can't allow a board feed.

20. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I cannot believe this!!!!:bawl:

I have been wanting to see/hear you, Michael Manring, play since forever. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've played my "The Book of Flame" CD.

Now I'm doing a search here on TBass.com and what do I see but that you performed, not once but TWICE, not even a half hour from my home here in Oregon. I am SO BUMMED! This is not good.

Michael, I am such a fan of yours. Your CD is like the first Beatle album that I wore out from playing over and over. You are one of the few true innovators of the bass.

I'm not feeling well, now that I know that I missed getting this opportinity to see you.