Some useful advice for the new members of Talkbass.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 25, 2004.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I posted this in a new members thread because he asked his question in the wrong forum. I thought it might be a helpful tool for all the new members and lighten the moderators loads a little big here at Talkbass, so I am also posting it here.

As you may have noticed we have several sub-forums in the main bass guitar forum.

They are: Basses, Amps, Pickups, Effects, Strings, Setup, Bassists, Recordings, Recording Gear & Equipment, Technique, General Instruction, Tablature, Bass Humor & Gig Stories, Band Management & Performance, Miscellanious, and Off Topic.

I'd like to give you a brief description of each so you will have a better understanding of where to post your questions.

Basses: This thread if for any questions or statements that relate directly to the actual instrument.

Amps: This forum deals with any questions you may have regarding amplifiers & speaker cabinets.

Pickups: anything specifically related to the pickups in bass guitars.

Effects: anything effects related. Ex: distorion, chorus, delay, specific brand names, etc.

Strings: anything relating to strings. (brand names, gauges, etc.

Setup: you would post in this forum if you have fret buzz and want to fix it, how to adjust the action of your instrument, truss rod, anything you can think of about how to set up or customize your bass.

Bassists: This forum deals with actual bass players. You'd post any questions or comments about specific bass players here. Ex: Who were Hugh McDonalds influances?

Recordings: anything related to cd's, mp3's, anything that was recorded by bassists, bands, etc.

Recording Gear & Equipment: anything studio related.

Technique: Anything that would deal with problems you are having or advice you want to give about how you would physically play the bass guitar. Ex, Fingerstyle, Slap/Pop, Tapping, etc.

General Instruction: here's where it really starts to get fun. This is where you go when you have any questions related to music theory, instructional videos, method books, chord structure, what the strings of the bass guitar are, etc.

Tablature: you'll find tabs to many songs here. I would recomend you avoid this forum and head straight for the General Instruction one and use the methods there to learn a song and how to play the instrument.

Bass Humor & Gig Stories: any funny little story you have involving bass guitar or what happend while on a gig.

Band Management & Performance: This forum is about how to manage your band, or yourself, and how to perform.

Miscellanious: Post about anything music related not covered by any of the other forums.

Off Topic: Post about anything non-musical (that doesn't break Talkbass's or the individual forum rules & regulations) which is not covered by any of the other forums. Ex, What is your favorite video game? Do you like to fish? My dog died, etc.

One last thing I'd like to add, Please check to see if the forum has a FAQ posted at the top of the page. If it does, then please read it over. The answer you are looking for might already be covered there. If its not, please do a search. If the search doesn't yield the information you are looking for then by all means post your question in the appropriate forum.

Much Love and Welcome to Talkbass:
    Mama Cass :eyebrow: