1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some weird annoying buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grass132456, Mar 4, 2013.

1. grass132456

grass132456

Sep 12, 2011
    So today, I felt like I needed to change strings, and thus I did. While I was doing that, I also decided to change the truss rod because I felt as if the action was too high for me. After I changed strings and turned the truss rod a total of 1/4 of a turn, I started to play. When I played, everything was fine except for one thing: every time I play the A string, there was a buzz that I couldn't really locate exactly. It's not because the strings were too low, but the buzz sounded the loudest IN the body, like near the pickups. It seemed to resonate throughout the body and up the truss rod and neck. I am still a total newbie at playing bass despite 3 years of playing and I don't really know much, if at all, about setting up. Do you guys know what is going on because this is really bothering me. It is also a MIM Fender PJ, if that matters at all. The buzz is seems to be behind the P pickups in the body. Suggestions on anything or should I just soon one day go get a professional set up? But would a set up get rid of the weird buzz in the body? :O Please help! Thanks guys
    --JL

2. grass132456

grass132456

Sep 12, 2011
    Any ideas? This buzzing is only happening on the open A string too :O

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Same brand/type/gauge string as before? Did you loosen or tighten the truss rod? Did you try raising the A string saddle a smidge?

4. DingoBlues

DingoBlues

Dec 17, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Open A buzz on a Fender is usually caused by too few windings around the tuning post. If you press down on the string behind the nut does the buzz go away?

5. grass132456

grass132456

Sep 12, 2011
    Different brand, from Blue Steels to Lo Riders. I tightened the truss rod and I adjusted the saddle too just to make sure it wasn't fret buzz.

6. grass132456

grass132456

Sep 12, 2011
    Mindblown! It does go away :D What now? But my winding seems to be fine, it has atleast 2 complete coils around it, just like all my other strings

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I had the same problem with my SX Jazz. The buzzing went away when I pressed behind the nut.

I added a Hipshot 3-string retainer and it instantly went away. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362697683.417143.

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Grass132456,

How does the string come off the A tuner? It should come off from the bottom with the wraps above. This helps keep the string positioned to come off the nut at the right angle. In the future keep three wraps on the tuner.

First step is to wind the string again if it's not like that.

That should take care of it. If not, there's always Rip's suggestion. I've actually seen some folks use two regular circular Fender string retainers as an alternative.

All the best,

Bob

9. DingoBlues

DingoBlues

Dec 17, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    The windings need to go all the way down the post to get the proper break angle at the nut. Sorry dude. It's a common problem. Been there myself.
    Other than a new string, my only other idea would be to try a cable/zip tie on the A string behind the nut to put downward pressure on the string. The suggestion about a new string tree is a good one too.

10. grass132456

grass132456

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks guys, I'll try the less invasive ideas first and see how it goes!

11. Is the string settling in the nut good? And are you winding top down with no ever lap? Should need a retainer on the A because the distance from the nut should create a good down angle. If the nut slot is v'd it could be holding it up a bit. If it's to open you can take a small piece of foil gum wrapper and put it in the slot. At least if that works you'll know what the problem is;) it will play fine that way 'till you can do something else. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362716064.885162.