Somebody Else Likes The Clash!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Son of Spam, Jul 29, 2001.

1. I thought I was the only guy under 20 who liked (or even heard) of The Clash...

Possibly one of my favorite bands because of their ability to change and still sound great.

I played their S/T for one of my friends, then went to London Calling (only two LP's I ahve for em) and my friend didn't believe they were the same band.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm a fan of the Clash... Paul has some really nice lines. I feel bad 'cause all I own is the greatest hits. One of these days I'll get one of their regular albums.

~gazes wistfully~
    One of these days...
  3. i'm wearing my clash t-shirt right now (the one with the cover of the first LP). they're my all-time favorite band.
  4. youre missing out!

i have thier s/t, london calling, and black market clash all on vinyl and i have the big anthology on cd

and hey im under 20 and i grew up on the clash
  5. I like the Clash too, and I'm only 19. I have a London Calling shirt, but I don't know where it is. I should go look for it soon.
  6. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I'm 17 and I love The Clash. Especially ST and London Calling. Plus I'm from London. Beat that.
  7. Well I'm 19, I've brought the Clash up EVERYTIME there's been a poll about bassists. Well I can't beat living in London....although I guess I do live in a safe european home?!
  8. Im 20 and I lovwe the Clash! Especially London Calling.
  9. yeah yottskry, well i've got a tommy gun, and i'm going straight to hell because i'm a card cheat. plus, i'm drinking koka kola right now. so beat THAT.

10. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    The other day I got lost in the SuperMarket trying to find a White Man in Hammersmith Palais called Rudie, who I'm told has a fairly high success rate.

I need help.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Their first album made a big impact on us when I played punk in the 70's.

"Police and Thieves" was a great song off of that album that should have gotten more attention, IMO. Also, "White Riot" (Clash at their most vicious) and "I'm So Bored With the USA."

They were known at the time as one of the "bands that mattered." They represented one of the punk bands that actually had good musicians and writing talent that would last beyond the Punk Era.
  12. I can't because Spanish Bombs are falling on my safe european home. So should I stay or should I go? I'm not in complete control and the remote control has gone missing. Wait a sec....there's a white riot starting outside! I can hear a Tommy Gun and the magnificent seven have just arrived. I'm gonna go wait for the call up, this looks like it could turn into English Civil War! Know your rights folks, don't train in vain....

...ok, so I had a track listing in front of me, but it still wasn't a bad effort!
  13. lol
  14. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    White Riot is another of my favourite Clash songs. The energy is just fantastic. I saw some live footage of that song and it blew me away.

And it's weird that The Clash is both one of my favourite bands, and my Biology teacher's favourite band too. He's in his early 40s.

DHC: :D
  15. The Clash rocks!!! Two days ago I ordered their Greatest Hits CD. I used to have London Calling and Combat shy did I Get rid of them?.............Oh yeah, to buy my first BASS!!

Good enough reason I think.
  16. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Joe Strummer, on accusations that his lyrics, on "White Riot" in particular are "unintelligable":

"Well the words are great, they're really great y'know what I mean? But you can't hear 'em. How's that for irony"

Heh, I've not found many Strummer interviews but I love hearing and reading them. Smart guy.
  17. I have that T-Shirt dude...I wore it to Warped Concert.... no one else had a Clash shirt on...I was amazed yet saddened...LoL.

I just love the Clash, and you can't beat Spanish Bombs... I love that song...that and Rudie Can't Fail...

Does anyone know if they covered it, or that other guy covered it?
  18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    my dad has all of their records on vinyl. lucky me! i'm halfway through sandinista, and i really like london calling, but that's all i've listened to so far...
  19. I first heard the clash when they once played the video "Rock the Casbah" on MTV (back in 1994)

Now I own London Calling, GREAT CD, and I have read "A Riot of Our Own"...I truly recommend it to every fan!
  20. raised on the clash, but my mom lost/sold the records when we moved, so i'm now left with only a few mp3s.

i did get to count time spent listening to them as research when i did my paper on punk, though