1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Somebody fill me in, what's up with this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Mar 7, 2013.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Just in the past couple of weeks i've noticed alot of threads asking for tips or advice about "biamping". interestingly, none of them ended up wanting to biamp, just wanted to use like a/b/y or something to blend signals, or run two seperate amps or rigs.

so my question: is there some "rokstaaah" that just did an interview in a mag recently talking about his rig? or has it just been a coincidence that a few people just used the same incorrect term for the same thing?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's been an ongoing thing for the entire time I've been on this forum, so I'd guess you only just started noticing it recently. :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, Bongo's right. Started in the late 60's or early 70's when people actually DID run biamped systems. But they used PA cabs and did biamping legit. Nowadays most folks who ask about it really just want the clean/dirty blend and those who used to biamp now use 2 and 3 ways cabs whereas back in the "glory days" of biamping they used separates. A great thing for big PA systems...overkill for bass playing these days IMHO since full range bass cabs are so good these days and do all the dirty work for you. Of course, that's just my opinion. Those with biamped rigs need not take offense ;)

4. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ok. i guess i just hadn't noticed it. it was more a question to me about why they all seem to not actually be wanting to biamp, but used the word. figured some "big star" mentioned it...

i used to do it with a PV 3620 cab and two heads, with about half of the time turning out veeeeery bad. but that was the 80's....

edit: you know now that i think about it i first found out about doing it reading it in a review.... the 800rb was one amp i wanted sooo bad for that! but i went a different route. an old peavey combo300 i took out of its box pushed the 18's, a ( :p ) crate b150 pushing the 10's.

5. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    I did bi-amping with a "modern" cab [a 1515/66+1] and an Aguilar db680 - it worked great but I finally decided that the passive xover in the fEARful was [as Jimmy suggests] more than adequate rendering the bi-amp setup and manipulation an excellent solution to a non-existent problem.

6. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i really didn't go to pa much. mostly bars and small stuff where i carried the house with my rig. when i had time to tweak it it worked well, but when i didn't get time to adjust to the room....poopoo