1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

somebody from this forum bought me strap locks for nothing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HardTech, Oct 29, 2006.

1. what a kind and generous act! I mentioned that I needed the part that attaches to the strap only since I only have one bass with dunlop strap locks. Texas Ed replies (in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282864) that he has only one strap with many bases, so he has a few extra strap-locks lying around and that he'll send them to me. He said he'd even take care of shipping.

After a few days, he e-mails me back saying he couldn't find any, so he bought a pair of brand new Strap locks from Musicians' Friend and had them shipped to me.

Unbelievable. He probably doesn't want this kind of attention, but anybody willing to do anything remotely kind (let alone spending his or her hard-earned money!) to a complete stranger deserves some recognition. In return, I promised him I'd "pay it forward", meaning I'll do something nice and generous for another person.

Because of him, I get to try out my new Italia strap at church!

:bassist: :bassist:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that's awesome. There are some really stand-up guys here!

Applause to all of you...

BTW, jmb7183 GAVE me an Aguilar GS212 cab. I still think he was nuts, but I appreciate it every time I look at it, and especially when I hear it

3. that's why talkbass rocks :D

4. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    ok, I want to experience the magic. Someone send me something. :rolleyes: By the way Trevorus, I dig your new avatar.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, it's not new at all. It's actually pretty old, just recycled. But everyone generally enjoys it...

6. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    wow that is genorous of him to do that. hey how is that italia strap? im waiting on one ATT

kelly

7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Actually, I think way more of the type of thing you have mentioned goes on throughout TB, but we don't always hear about it. I too have had similar experiences with TB members! I feel I have made some good friends here, and the funny thing is I wouldn't know them if they were knocking on my front door right at this moment. Good will is like sunshine. Even a little can really brighten up someone's day. :)

8. I think I have some old ripped up underwear in the trash, let me check... yup, pm me your adress and I can send 'em to you (unfourtunalty I cannot cover shipping)

9. if you're wearing a thin t-shirt, it feels like you're driving a Lexus. However, if you're wearing a thicker shirt, it kind of hurts. It's also hard to put in your case since it's so thick, but I kind of folded it up and forced it in there.

Also, putting the Dunlop strap locks on the strap were VERY hard since the strap is so thick. Just like with all straps, I had to cut the hole a little bigger, but because the strap is so thick, I had a hard time cutting it.

But yeah, I like it a lot :)

10. I had Xush send me some drumsticks when I first started drumming. He said they were custom made, and I've been trying to find a pair like them ever since. When I opened up the box I found some pick and... a set of Rotosound light gauge bass strings, for FREE.

I love this site.

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What a gift!

12. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Jetpackbassist works at GC in Sherman Oaks. For my oldest friend's birthday, I had some people chip in to get him a Squier (he had a big hollowbody that was slow to play/learn on). We had about 150, and the guitar was 149. However, the guitar had some weird minimum sale price, and no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get it to be 150 out the door. It was like 160-something or so, and he offered to pay the difference himself! Now that's classy. I found some extra cash though, and paid the extra. To make up for it, he threw in a free pair of strings plus picks for free.

Great dude!

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I received many free things from talkbass...
    Strings, cds...

Talkbass is really a nice place

14. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    We're like that in Texas! Dude...if I had known you needed the little thingamajigs, I would have sent them to you! I have about 4 or 5 laying around because I always use black for my straps and use the same color as the hardware on my basses, so I've got bits and pieces of StrapLocks laying all over the place.

Texas Ed is Awesome!

15. He's from Wisconsin :oops:

:bassist: :bassist:

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think a lot of us are like that. We're a brotherhood here and are here to help each other out. I believe in paying it forward whenever possible.

17. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative

Originally from Texas? Really, really, really LIKES Texas? Went to the University of Texas???

:bag:

There's got to be some connection there...people don't just usually say, "Call me Big Apple Al" for no reason!!!

:D

18. i love talkbass, a great member sent me a slotted BAII for nothing, even covered shipping. said it was lying around doing nothing and that he would like to see someone use it. Its on my bass now. :)

19. Texas Ed

Texas Ed

May 9, 2006
    I'm Texas born, Texas bred, and when I die, I'll be Texas dead.

And I did attend UT Austin. Graduated MB Smiley High in Houston (high school.)

I was touring about 20 years ago and I was headed up I-94 and just as I crossed the state line I stopped at a rest stop and somebody said, "Hey, you look like an a$$hole. You belong here." Be damned if they weren't right. I have been living here in Wisconsin ever since!

But I still get down that way now and again. (And I fly over it everytime I escape to Mexico.) I kick around in East Texas ravenging largemouth bass once or twice a year and I also head towards the valley on the Gulf side for some red fishin' and speck slaying. I sometimes chill out in the hill country when I need to get away.

But this weekend, and next, I will be up in the great white hunting the ever elusive whitetail deer. Then, it's back on the road, doin' what I do.

Rock on my brothers. Happy holidays.

20. Texas Ed

Texas Ed

May 9, 2006
    Right on. Keep the faith.

Us guys on the low end share an unspoken brotherhood. Leave the egos to the lead guitarists and vocalists.

We keep it real. From the heart.

So mote it be.