Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Somebody Got Ripped Off....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks like someone went ahead and purchased this Elrick with the pics and info lifted directly from GGuitars' archive, no additional info on the bass, and a private auction.

Lo and behold, two weeks later
    the same Elrick is up for sale, with original pics.

I wish eBay didn't offer those private auctions- there's no way to warn the bidders. Then again, it is the bidders' responsibility to learn about what they're about to drop two grand on first...

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    that's a shame...

pretty bass, well picture of a bass anyway.

Marshall

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry, but I don't get it?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's the same bass, sold from two different buyers to two different people. The first auction only had photos from the place that originally sold it (red flag #1), had only the info the website had (red flag #2), and was a private auction so the bidders can't be contacted by other eBayers (red flag #3). The second auction obviously shows the same bass in a state of ownership, as shown by the mods done to it.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, it's confusing... The "seller" has enough good feedback... but OTOH the only feedbacks this year were for purchases, not sales. Could it be one of those identity-theft dealios, where the person who properly owns that ebay seller name is being impersonated? Say for instance the thief creates a new Paypal account attached to a new checking account, then heists access to the seller ID, and links the ID to the new Paypal account. Sells one or two imaginary high-dollar items, withdraws the money from Paypal, cashes the dough out of the checking account, and then vanishes? It would take at least a few days, maybe a week, so there is some risk that the buyer would catch on and complain to Paypal before the deed was completely done. But otherwise it's a "good" scam.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Or maybe just got a few good feedbacks in order to build up his score, then decided to make a quick couple thousand.

Who knows? He hasn't gotten bad feedback yet from the ordeal, so maybe it was cancelled in the checkout process.

7. That hijackin' thing happened to me here in Australia.A few buds let me know but by the time I got home from work it had been taken off, no trace.Was for an Ibanez Affirma - very rare anywhere let alone Australia.Plus at the time I had already sold the bass and no longer owned it.People like this should die.