Somebody in CA should jump on this!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    yeah, well, I'd probably just end up putting a bigger hole somewhere in myself.:eek:
  2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    That's less than I paid for my router kit.
  3. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Anybody care to explain exactly why these pin routers are so sought after?
  4. First off, they are the safest form of routing available. The bit is either inside the template or on the backside allowing the operator to stay out of the way. Even Rick Turner swears by them - you can find his comments about pin routers elsewhere in this forum. Second, by making decent templates, you don't have to use any bearing guided bits and that solves some problems when it comes to getting deeper cavity routs. And, if I'm thinking about this correctly, it makes it easier to do precise fitting inlay's. Not necessarily just the decorative kind but even heavier and thicker combinations.

And like Teej said - this thing is cheeeeeeep!:D
  5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My main reason for lusting after one is the control and visibility it offers. Your cutting bit is always on top of the work as opposed to underneath like with a router table and you get to keep both hands on the workpiece. Both add another level of safety to routing operations.

Also, for production work these things are supposed to be an absolute dream (they were the big shop tool before CNC). They generally have stronger motors and make running the same template over and over a very simple process. Just slap your template on some wood, set it on (or beside) the pin, lower the bit (with a footswitch, usually), and go.

6. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I wonder what shipping would be? Not that I'm interested (shyeah, good luck getting that thing up my stairs), just curious.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Hammy, where'd you get the idea this would be a cool tool for some small builder???

....and, well, we might just be keepin' an eye on that one ourselves...although crating and shipping across the country might end up bein' as 'spensive as the piece itself!

8. Um, Rick Turner of course!:D

If it ran up to 3 or 4 hundred, I think it would still be worth it. I suppose you could dissassemble it and send it in pieces :rollno:
  9. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    It's about $325 to ship it to my place in Seattle :(

Something to consider for the future - but I have a load of tools that need to start making an ROI in the coming months.

all the best,

10. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    The plung depth looks to shallow to route cavities with. This is only going by looks. It doesnt give the dimensions for the router height.

does anyone have a word on Grizzly's Shop Fox Overarm router system that is $595?
  11. Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    One thing I noticed is that this machine will run at 120. A lot of these production machines run at 220. Good for the home Guy.
  12. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If I wasn't 8 hours away in CA, I'd jump on it! Maybe my buddy down in LA would make a trip for me. Hmmmmm....:D
  13. Wood Ascention

Wood Ascention

Nov 7, 2004
    Well Hammy I just recently stumbled across the thing that your dreams are made of. A 1980's 5Hp pin router with brand new belts and motor for the woping price of ......$100!!!!!:D This thing is a monster 1200 pounds of cast three phase maddness. Deffinately overkill for the small shop but justifiable to furniture maker/luthier like myself. Just got it to the shop last week haven't had time to uncrate it yet.:crying: I'll deffinately post with pics when that happens. These things can be safe like any machine but will quickly grind a chunk out of you if your not careful.
  14. Well Woody ...Im one step ahead of ya....mines already uncrated. I Got it from a shut down East German furniture company . My shop is still being remodeled but I had to get it when I saw it. This thing even has its own built in air compressor too!
    It stand 1,7m and the table is 1,0x1,7m
    I got a pic of it on myspace
  15. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    Gawd, that's a wussy little thing!

Naaah, what you want is a nice chunk of old iron from Ekstrom Carlson or Onsrud cranking about 5 to 7 1/2 hp of real Clydesdale horsepower at 20,000 rpm. I've got a E/C model 434 from about 1945 or so on which the motor probably weighs more than that entire pin router in the picture. I've also got a Shoda/Onsrud that is incredibly precise.

Pin routers will do it an incredible range of jobs, and with good phenolic templets you can get hundreds and hundreds of parts out with your tooling. You can handle tool diameter offsets, rough and then final pass cutting, neck carving, body shaping, pickup and electronics cavities, the whole shooting match. Many jobs can be done faster than with a CNC machine with close to the same accuracy. You can do quick and dirty tooling with plexiglas templets and double stick tape. I'll even make a templet to make one part like that because I'd rather screw up a templet and redo it than screw up a nice piece of wood, and if you ever need another part, you're there. For the work you can get out of them, they're really cheap, and many pin routers can be picked up for little more than the scrap iron price. I also consider them very safe as there's no chance of the machine moving on you at 1,000 pounds plus. I think my big one weighs about 1,500 lbs. and the small one about 900 lbs. I have no problem moving them around on a concrete floor solo by using a long steel pry bar and pipes for rollers if I need to move one more than about four feet. Then if you really need to move one, it's time to learn how to drive a forklift, a skill that any serious luthier should master... :)

Pin routers probably deliver the fastest payback of any machine I can think of for a guitar or bass making shop once you get past the very basic cabinet shop level of tooling.