1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Somebody please tell me if I made a mistake before too late.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Little Cricket, May 8, 2006.

1. HI everyone. I just bought a Scheter Studio - 5 after going through a bunch of other mid-priced 5 string bass. I really like it. It is very nicely constructed and has a lot of tonal options. I like the jazz style PUs for that sound but this bass really surprised me with its sound and playability. I got rid of a 55-02, then a MIM Fender V, and an Ibanez before those becuase I couldn't find my sound or get a good set up. My favorite bass and main instrument is my Marcus Miller Sig but I wanted a nice five string since I play a lot of christian stuff and gospel. I wanted to know what the thoughts are on the Studio - 5 that I just purchased. Oh, btw, I paid $550 out the door with new DR strings and case, brand new. I have a guy at GC. Please let me know what thoughts you guys have on this instrument and if there is something like a Yamaha or something that might be a little better. Thanks in advance

2. hey, you answered it yourself " I realy like it", if you like it like how it plays, sounds and looks then thats good enuff, the grass isn't allways greener, and you'll need that 5 string for gospel.

3. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If the bass feels right and you can grab the tone you're looking for, then there is nothing to worry about. As stated above, you said "I really like it", that should be all the argument you need to hold onto it.

Good luck with the bass ...... :cool:

4. thanks for both your responses. since I have been playing bass for a relatively short time I have to play catch-up and listen to everything and read everything and it is easy to look at someone I really like and think that if that is what they play then that is what I need to buy but I guess it comes down to what pleases your ear and hands. I did a search with Studio-5 in on this site but didn't come up with much. Many scheters but diff models so that's partly why I posted this to see if anyone has any specific feedback about that model, but please keep all other comments coming too. thanks again

5. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    pointless thread
    :bassist: :bassist:

6. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    pointless? go play your 30 basses. the kid just wanted some opinions.

and yes, a schecter is a fine instrument. great price for a great bass. IMO better than a yamaha.

7. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    name changed, I read your profile. Show us some pics of your gear, if it even exisists

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    $550 for a bass you like is one hell of a good price considering some ppl spend $2-5k and in the end they dont like the bass...

9. thank you all for the posts, and also thanks to PMC89 and basspunk for jumping all over the other guy in my defense. I just want to let Namechange know that I spend a lot of time searching the archives for any and all info before I nervously post a thread to try an avoid any such controntation or waste anyone's time. I posted this because I want to know what's out there and also since I have 30 days to take back if I have to. Sorry if you wasted 30 seconds of your precious time. But thanks to all for the response, any more would be greatly appreciated.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not a waste of time at all.

Enjoy your new bass. There's no reasons to have second thoughts about it...as long as YOU like it.

I always thought that Schecter made some nice stuff at a good price.

11. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    no apologees or even thank yous are necessary. but you're welcome.

we're just trying to keep talkbass what it should be. don't worry about name changed. he's been a problem for everyone recently. congrats on the bass and good luck in your future playing.

12. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    To anyone, I'm new, too, and people learn by asking questions.

It's hard to know if something feels right if you've never felt it before--we're not talking about sex here but a musical instrument! :rolleyes:

13. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    lola99 ...

You're right, if you don't actually know what something should feel like it's hard to make a final decision. In the case of L-Cricket he said he liked it, and that's a good start. Schector is a respectable brand name and he paid in the approximately right neighborhood for the bass. All in all, a good "first" bass choice.

As Cricket moves along he'll figure out what he likes and doesn't like about the axe. Lots of new players check in here and are looking for ideas .... the cool thing with Cricket is that he made a choice for a bass he liked, he didn't just post a "what bass is best for me" thread. Those kinds of posts just lead to useless answers ....

Lots of good info here at TB ..... :cool:

14. "when i have a GAS wish list i ask my dad and say what i want and get it pretty quickly! haha!!"

That translates into you being a spoiled little kid that knows nothing/gets everything. If you can't help a guy out with legitimate questions, please don't post that garbage.

:rollno:

I do agree with Basspunk2005, I'd love to see pics of your "gear"... I'd also love to hear you play. Good gear does not make you good, ability makes you good! I can assure you a wealth of gear really doesn't impress anyone here.

15. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    No need to thank me mate, its people like that, who bring the board down. Youll have to show us some pics soon:Dit sounds pretty cool:cool:

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If its what you like, then you've answered your own question.

For me? I'd have kept the 55-02.

17. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Kinda late in posting this but I too own a Stiletto Studio 5 and love it. 90% of my playing is Christian/Gospel so I know exactly what you mean Cricket :)

I've had the bass for a little more than half a year I think and have loved every minute of it. Although I'm gassing for a "better" bass, I think it's only due to my skill level increasing but I've never been dissapointed after plugging in my Studio 5 :D

I have made some posts/reviews about this bass.....just look around in the gear review section and in here in the bass forum. Congrats, she's a keeper!

-J

18. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    If it feels good to you? then thats all you need. :p

As my mother would say "Boy, Go Play" :hyper:

Enjoy :hyper:

P.S. I play the Studio 6 and I love it.:hyper: :bassist:

19. I have a different model Schecter that I've been playing for over 5years. Tons of gigs, recorded 2 albums with it. Never fails me. It's been the best $450 I've ever spent.

20. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Cricket, If it feels right to you then it's right! It's very hard to progress if the bass doesn't feel right, no matter the brand or the price. Good luck with your new bass! If you get a chance put up some picts. As far as "Name Changed" this isn't the first thread that he's weaved his snotty magic in.

Cheers,
    Jim