1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Somebody recommend me a good book!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fishbrain, May 17, 2011.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I've just finished reading the Jaco biography by Bill Milkowski and really enjoyed it, I'm looking for something new to get stuck into.

I like factual, preferably biographies and preferably about musicians, anyone got a good one??

Cheers!!

2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Read it

3. Miles Davis' autobiography is a good one.

4. I read Eric Clapton's autobiography last year. An engrossing, interesting read. I recommend it.

5. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Heaven and Hell by former Eagle Don Felder is a great read.

He talks a lot of smack about Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

6. I quite liked Sting's memoirs: Broken Music. Don't know if its to the taste of those who dislike the man's attitude, but I enjoyed the read.

I've heard good things about Cliff Burton's bio To Live Is To Die but I haven't gone through it myself.

7. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Not about music, but if you like football, or leadership than David Maraniss' biography of Vince Lombardi 'When Pride Still Mattered' is a GREAT read.. I believe he also did Bill Clinton's bio 'Head of His Class'

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its a little OT, but check out:

The Prisoner List

Its a book a colleague of mine wrote about his father's experience as a British POW in the Japanese camps in WWII. Its not very long and is easy to read and is a true story. I don't think its really about a musician per se, but I think my colleagues father played the accordian so its close!

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Where the Wild Things Are

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  11. Slash, was pretty cool!

Scar tissue was ok, both are pretty autobiographic!

Dave grohl was a pretty bad biog! Its pretty much an ode to dave and is awesomeness written by some freaky guy!

The Dark Stuff, is a collection of articals written about the greats! Great stuff, loads of funny anecdotes about people going from Bryan Wilson to Iggi pop to curt cobain!

12. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    IIRC, Mingus wrote an autobiography. There's also 'standing in the shadows of motown' about the legendary James jamerson.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The Frank Zappa Book. We really should have made that guy king......

14. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Mingus' autobiography is a tough read, but I am not a fan of autobiographies...

Beneath the Underdog is the name though...

15. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
  16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I enjoyed Andre Agassi's bio. I believe it was called Open.

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1 on this recommendation. Great read.

And, though not really a biography ... Listen To This. Lots of 2nd hand ones listed on Amazon.

18. Gotta disagree. Pretty poor writing, and there are some things you just don't wanna know about Miles. Almost ruined his music for me.