Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Somebody say "bloodwood"?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Dec 21, 2004.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I cut this one out tonight. 34" scale violin bass solid maple body with a bloodwood top and canary wood inlayed faux pickguard. It'll be buried under a bunch of clear when I'm done. It's purely for looks. Just a different way of getting more woods into the design. I plan on doing a lot more with this idea on my other designs. I've never seen anything like it though that doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. I'm just unaware if anybody has. I think it'll ad an optical illusion sort of thing to the bass. The cutaway is necessary for getting to the high notes since it's a 34" scale. The neck sits farther down in the body than the short scale Pauly Mac uses. I've seen cutaways on uprights so it doesn't look strange to me.

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Looks cool. I like the beatle bass shape. I've wanted to do one since before I even started building but now it doesn't go with any of my other stuff. :( I can just live vicariously through you!

3. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Wow, that's gonna be awesome! I really like the idea of an inlayed wood pickguard.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I really admire your designs also. There's some really talented builders here. This violin bass will be number 5. The idea came to me in a dream. Well, not really. It just felt like an idea I had to pursue. I'm not a Beatle bass fanatic. I guess I wanted to see what would happen if you merged a Hofner and a Fender and put a modern twist to it. It differs radically from a double cut design I've been working that will probably end up being number 6. That's why I'm building this violin bass early on. :) The attached pic shows where I'm at with the new design. I'm still pondering. I'm not sure if I need to develop it some more.

5. budman, that looks really neat. I like it alot. The inlaid pickguard is cool, tho not really a guard in the traditional sense, but that's not the intent anyway...

cool cool cool!

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Look Ma! No pickguard screws! Thanks. :)

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Looks great! I like both of them, but the double-cut looks fine as it sits! I'm trying to come up with a decent body design myself.

8. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Budman,
    I like the design of your new bass (reminds me of a BC Rich and an Ibanez Iceman bass a little).
    Just curious, is this a design for a customer or for your own personal bass? It has a rock vibe to it IMHO.

Woods?

Jon

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. To me it looks like a Jazz meets Rick meets Iceman. It'll be for a potential customer. ;) Funny you should ask about the woods. On my way back from lunch I was just thinking about what I should build it out of. I've got a big chunk of ash that I'll probably end up using for the body. I'm not sure about the top. I've got some walnut, some spalted maple and some more bloodwood. The neck will be maple and ash with a macasar ebony fingerboard. I can see the rock vibe, but should be good for anything.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Budman

Nice design. It would also look good sans the bottom scoop.

11. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Best looking beatle bass I've seen. I like it and I usually hate those things. Nice job bro.

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    That Violin style bass is real nice, but that other design is gorgeous man. It looks elegant and bad ass as the same time, great work budman.