1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Somebody tell me about Kerly Kue strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tehuti, Apr 11, 2006.

1. tehuti

tehuti

Jan 27, 2006
    O.C.
    I'm a newbie who just bought my first bass the other day. I have played guitar for years and usually use D'Addarrio but the guy I bought my bass from recommended Kerly Kue strings which apparently were all the rage at NAMM.

No one seems to have heard of them. I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I like them, but I'm just curious if anyone here has used them before.

:confused:

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I've been using them for a couple of months now and I really like them. They are nickel strings. Because of the cold-firing process they're treated with, they feel a lot smoother than a traditional roundwound. In the two months I've had them on my bass the sound has absolutely not changed at all. When I first put them on, my initial impression was "Wow, these sound like broken in strings". The B string is tighter and more focused sounding than anything I've used so far. I especially notice it when recording. Notes on my B string just somehow seem 'clearer'. My only caveat would be that they are a bit of a dark sounding string. If you like a lot of snap on the top end, this is not the string for you.

Ralf

P.S. I forgot to mention longevity. When I was using D'Addarios, I changed my strings every 5 or 6 weeks. It's been at least 2 months with the Kerly Kues and they are showing no sign of getting tired.

3. tehuti

tehuti

Jan 27, 2006
    O.C.
    :meh: I ended up taking the Kerly Kues back and exchanged them for Rotosounds. It turns out that in my excitement to get my new bass I neglected to ask what gauge strings were on my bass. It came with mediums (45-105) but the guy sold me light gauge strings. Since they don't carry the medium Kerlys I took the Rotosounds instead. Maybe I'll try them next time.