1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Somebody That I Used To Know: Modern equivalent of novelty song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jun 28, 2012.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It's one of those songs that catches your attention, is good for 3 or 4 listens, then you hope you never hear it again. Historical examples would be "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" (Rolf Harris) or "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" (Tiny Tim).

Attention radio programmers: Just stop playing it. Please.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

People seem to think it's good for 300 or 400 listens instead.
    It's called a world hit.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    This ^

I've heard it at least 100 times, and I'm almost burned out on it. I quite like it.

4. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I disagree. While I understand that it's severely overplayed, like most songs on the radio, I think it's a pretty good crossover song... impressive to musicians and non-musicians alike. Gotye, imo, is a phenomenal musician who's a bit surprised at the song's success. He has a lot of other great songs, but unfortunately I think he'll be relegated as a "one hit wonder".

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Fair enough. I just find the song very "gimmicky" in that 1-hit wonder kind of way. I admit I know nothing about Gotye. Cool people only know how to pronounce the name because they heard it on the radio first. I probably need to expand my musical horizons or something. ;)

6. My Sharona. Please god make it stop.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig the tune... great piece of pop songwriting.

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I like it. It's good songwriting and production, miles ahead most of the guo se that's popular right now.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I liked it up until the point I could no longer get into a car without hearing it.
    Remixed versions have popped up on just about any station whose format did not suit the original.

Its a good song, too, just WAY overplayed.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Check out Walk Off The Earth's version on YouTube.....great cover of it!

11. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    I found this song almost a year ago, and listened to it a few times. Then the radio got a hold of it. And now I hate it. They do that with so many good bands... Awolnation and Fun to name a couple. My local alternative rock radio station plays them constantly.

That's why FM radio sucks.

\Rant

12. I personally like this version, you will laugh. Trust me.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    This. I should not associate stabbing myself with anything called Fun.

The song was okay, and then it was every and all of a sudden my ears started to bleed.
    Can someone give me a hand with this sewing needle? Please?

14. Playing this song Sunday for a sub gig.

15. I think I will name my next band "Gotye's Teeth."

16. "Now you're just a song that I used to like"

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Gotye vs. The Police - Somebody I Used To Know

18. You just KNOW that will only make them play it more

19. Dude, step out of the time-machine. :D

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I personally hated the song from the get-go, I don't see it as anything special. It is just another generic song about love, something simple everybody can relate to, not that shocking it turned into a hit... I haven't heard anything else from them, also they are a group, not just one guy from what I have seen of their live appearances.

People forget the biggest factor in having a hit from an unknown is dumb luck, for every new band that makes it, 10 better ones did not.