1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Somebody throw cold water on me ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ... or slap me. Or something. :help:

I've been wanting a Marcus Miller for the longest time. Partially because I love the way they sound, partially because I love the neck, partially because I love the way they look, and partially because I dad-gummed want one. Problem is, I already have 2 fours and really don't need another one. :scowl:

I was going to solve my problem by selling my Tribute 2000 to "make room" for the Marcus but every time I play the Tribby, I get reminded why I bought it to begin with. What a sweet, sweet bass! I simply can't get over how this thing sounds and the sheer variety of tones I can get from it. And it plays so nicely. (And before anyone suggests it, my Fender Bullet short-scale stays. E.O.C.)

Does anybody else here jones for a bass for no good reason at all besides, "but I always wanted one!"

This is how people end up with 10, 15, 20+ basses. :rollno:

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Yep. That pretty much applies to me for a Lakland Glaub, a Zon Sonus 5, and an Ibanez Artcore, among others . . .

3. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Yeah... I'm like that with the ESP/LTD Tom Araya bass. It's passive (wiring, the pickups are active EMGs), and only 4 strings (I'd like 5 for my next bass, and active) but DAMN if it isnt' so cool. The shape, the inlays, the sound, all of that is great. But not what I really want.

4. Of course! You've got to keep in mind as well that the basses you lust after are production models so it's not like they'll be gone for good if you decide to sell/trade it for another bass.

I'd say go for it =)

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The bass I want but don't really need is a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz. It's a great bass, but it doesn't have anything that I already can't get from a bass I own. Maybe I should get rid of something!:D

6. It's happened to me a few times lately lately. I bought a Fender MIM 50's P-Bass for that reason, bought a EBMM SUB-5 for that reason and on Monday sold the SUB (great bass but it had 1 string too many for me) and bought an Ibanez Artcore for that reason. It's terrible being an adult with a "kid in a candy store" mentality. Thank God I'm amused with relatively inexpensive toys. :meh: :D

7. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    http://birdsongguitars.com/images/C47d.jpg

It's been sitting in the Birdsong inventory for a few weeks, but I just received my own Birdsong a month ago and this one won't really add anything to my sound. It's just too much money to spend on a backup bass at this point. And it was a unique body blank that predates the official Birdsong Cortobass shape, so when it goes, there won't be another one showing up.

Last but not least, I'm not a huge fan of mahogany, but the grain pattern on this one really calls to me.

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    why not just get a Marcus Miller V?

Dave

9. I am the only one for whom the wanting and anticipation are actually better than actually owning the instrument? At least half the time I buy/trade/end up with a new bass that has been the object of my desire, it's been a little bit of a letdown.

10. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've spent $14,300 on 4 basses (see profile for list) since owning my Cote Continuum and, while I try to work each of them in at least for practices, I always end up going back to that Continuum when it counts. All 4 post-Continuum basses were 'because I've always wanted one' basses. Its all the justification you ever need.:)

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    (I was going to say the same :p ) but i believe price might be an issue here...

12. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Funny thing.... I want the same bass for the same reason. :D
    You'll just have to buy one. I will someday.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    yes. i want a wariwick streamer stage II for this reason. no other reason than i want one.

14. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    :)

Yeah, I want a Rickenbacker 4003. Not because I need that tone, but because they look cool and because they ARE cool. I can get on well without one but if I got the opportunity to purchase one for less then 1000$, I would.

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yes, i want a MM SR5. i can kinda justify it because i only have a fretless right now and i could use a fretted, but my skill level doesn't deserve one.

16. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    You wouldn't be human if this didn't happen to you. Whenever I visit a store that sells basses, I'm careful to travel by motorcycle and leave checkbook and credit card carefully at home. This at the very least postpones purchases long enough for me to calm down and contemplate what has become of my credit card since the last time I carried it into a bass store by mistake...

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have had that problem with Rickenbackers. I have been infatuated with them but I really don't need another bass. I keep telling myself that my next bass is going to be a 5- string but I just can't bring myself to sell either one of my Jazz basses.

I guess I will have to get the Rickenbacker and a Deluxe Jazz V.:)

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021