1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Somehow got a big nick in my neck what do I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drewphishes, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    No idea how it happened. Picked up my bass and its nicked badly on the neck. Its not in a spot that affects playability but im pretty bummed.

What can I do?

Anything?

Attached Files:

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    It adds Character :)

Seriously though i would leave it alone but if it really bugs you, gently sand it a little to try and blend it in.

gebass6 and Bass Man Dan like this.
  3. Rocknrollover

Rocknrollover

Apr 30, 2016
    I might try light sanding as mentioned maybe use fine Emory cloth.

4. Wow, that's pretty bad, not sure how it could happen w/o you knowing.

First step, get it back as close to what it was, how:

put a damp cloth on it & heat it with a clothes iron

no, I'm not kidding

the steam from the damp cloth will cause the wood to puff back out a bit (for lack of better term)

VH-Iron-Man-Funny-Parody-Ironing.

pcake, Eric ER, five7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Ouch!!!! I am offering this as an old woodworker and have never applied this to an instrument so take this with a grain of salt. Wood fibers are like tightly bound straws. When they are crushed you can bring them back flush by applying moisture. A damp place on a towel placed on the dent, then blow it with a hair dryer. That puts moisture back into those crushed fibers and can bring them back flush. Then a light buffing with Emory cloth and a touch with brush on lacquer and I bet it would be good as new.

Sorry KBD.... you and I think alike! We must have hit the post button at the same time!

drewphishes and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Yea my bass was down in the family room. I have zero idea how it happened. Its a big nick to not remember a drop or hit to it that bad

7. Me & my family members after that gash magically appeared:

afd8e7b87856b9f32b666e8547dd50e8--i-love-lucy-memes-i-love-lucy-funny.

JGbassman and catcauphonic like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just be careful with the heat. You don't need to add a burn Mark to that.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Steam and heat, followed by a drop fill and light sanding.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  10. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    This is the answer.

If you want or need more detail search "steaming a dent" and "drop fill" on this forum.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  11. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    This - I wet a clean washcloth, squeeze out most of the water, then apply it and the barrel(not the tip) of a soldering iron on the dent, taking care not to linger long enough to burn anything... You can usually swell a dent back out as far as it's going to go this way, then drop fill, sand and buff from there...

Eric ER likes this.
  12. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    Yes, for such a small area, a soldering iron is much better suited than a clothes iron. I would steam, it may take a few passes, just don’t burn it. Sanding after will soften the edges. If it were me, I’d stop there and not bother with a drop fill.

13. I use a monokote iron for steaming out dents. Variable temp and teflon coated.

Turnaround and Zooberwerx like this.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Bingo. You can get these at any hobby shop stocking RC supplies. Modelers use 'em for installing mylar (?) on airplane wings and such. I used one to smooth out a Koa neck that felt like a washboard. You'll still need to drop-fill the defect once minimized, though.

Riis

15. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I just checked one of those out - looks pretty handy