Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Somehow...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geezerman, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I screwed up installing straplocks :meh:

Well i tried installing with just a screw driver but couldn't drivethe screw in deep enough. So today i tried a drill and it stripped the screws and didn't drive the bottom screw in enough to use the lock, i tried taking them out and it just made the situation worse. The top horn is in halfway but stripped, the bottom horn is in, but not far enough to use the locks, and there both stripped (my fault for using a pretty powerful drill without predrilling holes) Any ideas to reverse my random act of retardedness?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Find something to grab those screws and back them out. Since I have a general lack of tools, I'd probably use some vise grips to get ahold and then twist em out.

Be careful with those strap lock screws they're usually bigger than standard strap button screws and you may need to drill out the holes a little bit to get them to fit.

Feel lucky you didn't split the wood on your bass.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Get the bottons out of the body, (with out a drill). Put 1 to 4 toothpicks broken off in the hole w/ glue, just a little. Reinstall ( without a drill).

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    That is the opposite of my experience, at least with the Schaller strap locks. On both my Fender P and Bongo, the screws that were in the original buttons were much larger than those with the locks. On the P, I had to use the toothpicks and glue technique to get the locks on. On the Bongo, the old screws fit the locks just fine, so no changes to the body were needed. I second the suggestion to put toothpicks (and a bit of wood glue) in the oversize holes to correct your error.

The biggest mistake here was not stripping the screws, but using a drill for such small screws in such soft wood in the first place! For this kind of fine work, there is no sane reason to use a drill! Grab ye your favorite screwdriver!

- Tim

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Interesting. I've had the opposite happen several times with the screws...and I've helped a few friends who have had the problem.

I'd also caution to use the proper sized screwdriver. Too big or too small can cause screws to strip out.

6. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I use the Dunlop straploks, and have always just reused the original strap button screw instead of the ones that came with the straploks. Never had a problem and never stripped a screw.

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm leaning towards this, these screws are unusable :meh:

tommorow will get that one off the front horn, then fill it with toothpicks and wood glue and use the original screws, should be an easy fix...besides the back lol