1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Someone break down the Ampeg heads for me please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 7, 2013.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I get the original cl, heritage stuff. What about the III's, IV's etc. ? Here is my point........... I would like to eventually move to a fridge set up and I love the SVT sound. I don't like the weight or expense of a true SVT. I would be happy if I can get close to that tone and have been eyeing the SVT 7! Can someone break down the pro's and cons of Post SVT stuff? Thank you.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I have used many different Ampeg heads over the years including 1970's era SVT, 4PRO, 6PRO and 7 PRO. In my opinion, the 6PRO comes closest to the true SVT sound. The reason is that it has 2 preamp tubes and 4 driver tubes. You can also adjust the amount of tube output. It weighs around 41 pounds.
    The 7PRO has one tube and you cannot adjust it's output. If you can find a used American built 6PRO I would recommend buying it.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    JimmyM will be here shortly to help steer you in the right direction the man knows his stuff.

4. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    And saying Ampeg is like saying Beetlejuice around the character of the same name!! :bag:

5. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    I have the 4 pro with an 8x10, and it sounds great. It is a solid state with a tube preamp. You get some of that tube sound, but it is reliable like a solid state. It is also not nearly as heavy as a classic SVT tube amp. I have tried some of the other numbers (3, 5, and 6) and they all seem really similar. I just bought the one that I found the best deal on.

6. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    This is a GREAT post something I have been confused with myself!

7. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    why break them down they break down by themselves....just kidding I play one

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    LOL you have to say it five times.

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    and whistle a devo tune :smug:

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Looking in the wrong place for that. That is achieved with a Sansamp VT bass and lighweight power amp, and lightweight, fairly transparent cab.

11. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I'm confused. You say you want to move to a fridge setup eventually but don't want the weight issue???

12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Yeah doesn't make sense to me either. The cab is going to weigh more and be more of a hassle to move around than the head.

If you want tube sound, get an all tube amp. The fake stuff is fine if you're willing to compromise, but know that you may never be satisfied.

13. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362667583.777119.

Behold the micro fridge!

14. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    IMO they all have what I hear to be the Ampeg SVT sound. But if you want tube sound, don't fall for the "it has a 12ax7 in the pre so it sounds tube" gimmick. Most tube magical character happens in the power section.

I don't have experience with the 7 or 8 yet. But the rest are all great sounding and quiet flexible.

Though it I didn't feel my 3Pro had enough headroom for my liking, it was seriously great sounding. I just play loud music so headroom on SS stuff is preferred.

Brought a 5Pro on a 6 week tour. It wasn't as sleek or sweet sounding as some of the others, but the OD channel ruled, when it worked... This one was full of gremlins that would cause problems intermittently and drove our band bonkers. Maybe it was a bad apple?

Played lots of other people's 4Pros and was always happy with how easy it was to get a good sound and sit well in the mix.

Picked a 6Pro over a 4Pro initially because it was 2 space, cheaper and still had about the same amount of power. Totally thrilled with it through and through. Probably my favorite out of the SS power section bunch.

I'm not a total tube snob, but the IIPro(tube) and CL(tube) are my favorites without a doubt. Both are insanely heavy. But worth it to me. Would love to get my hands on an older II(non pro) or a 70's SVT.

15. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    To clarify I mostly don't like the expense of the all tube ones. To me a lot of the magic is in the cabs so I am willing to deal with that. I like the idea of being able to adjust the power level of the six. Does that help get the break up at lower volume in those?

16. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Mr Foxen is right.

17. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If weight is an issue for you and the 6PRO weighs about 40lbs, I would suggest trying to nab what I just got...a Traynor YBA200.

It's not dead-on as loud as an SVT (it's 200w), but if you get a GOOD 12AT7 for the V2 position and get quality, late-distortion 6550's or KT88's for the power section, you will get very very loud if you are using a fridge cab. If you like the sound of an overdriven SVT, this amp will bring nothing but a huge smile to your face.

18. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I gig an 810/SVR-VR rig and it's the HEAD I hate to move, not the cab! The cab is easy; tilt it back, roll it where you gotta go, tilt it up into my jeep, done. The Head you have to lift and carry. I'd rather tilt and roll 200# than carry 100# ANY day!!! ;)

-JV

19. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The Traynor does sound a bit more scooped in the mids compared to the SVT, the YBA-300 at 50 lbs or so might do a better job. As for lightweight amps, I want that SVT 7 Pro so badly, or maybe a GB Streamliner.

20. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    heh as soon as I saw this thread I thought "jimmym's dream thread"