1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Someone Cut My Instrument Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RocketMensch, Jul 14, 2014.

1. So some really awesome really cool mystery "friend" of mine or friend of a friend snipped my instrument cable in two.

This was a few months ago but I've finally gotten around to fixing it. It's not turning out so good and I'm hoping somebody has tried and can give me some pointers.

There is an inner wire in its own sheath and the outer wire wraps around that and the whole thing is within an outer sheath. So after stripping the outer sheath, I've gathered the fine copper "hairs" from around the inner sheath... they are so fragile and just break and fall apart. I've had to keep stripping further down the cable to get a good enough bundle of non-broken copper wire.

Then I stripped the inner sheath and it was easier to gather the fibers within. I soldered the inner with inner and outer with outer from both ends of the cut cable. I used electrical tape to cover each bundle separately. Them I taped around both of them until there was enough tape in that area so it was the same thickness as the rest of the cord. Finally I used heat shrink tubing over the area.

I plugged it in and it worked (I even tested it before the final taping and heat shrinking) but then it started cutting out and I had to mess with it and pinch it to keep it working. I'm thinking the cord is just going to twist and break the fibers inside with time anyway... is this a lost cause or is there something I can do?

2. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    It's bad enough just re soldering the end connections. They become un reliable. Trying to fix one snipped in the middle or the cable itself? Why bother the replacement cost is not that much anymore. I'd be more interested in who cut it and why in the first place.

3. Yeah, it was like a mystery plot trying to figure out who did it. We've never had that kind of stuff happen in our home before... or since. Didn't think anybody who comes around is like that. Never did figure it out. Some of my room mates and their friends would go into the garage to smoke their stuff and we keep gear in there. It looked like somebody just really REALLY wanted to cut SOMETHING... picked up the cord, ran their pocket knife through it, set it back down and didn't think anything of it. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, they smoke elsewhere now, I don't care if it's freezing outside. If I can't fix it I'm out thirty bucks. Not a big deal but the cord was always good to me, you know? Never hurt anybody...

4. That.

Fixing a cable is useless unless it's at an end. Not only won't they stay solid at the joints, you no longer have good shielding.
    You can, however, if you have ends that unscrew, remove the old cable and buy a new length of cable an reuse the ends.

5. Right? I mean, that's what I'm thinking. It was worth a shot though. I wanted to fix it out of spite and rock the cord that was cut as a big EFF YOU to the p.o.s. who snipped it. I'm sure you guys understand, but it's looking like a lost cause. And no the ends aren't removable or reusable.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You can't put it back together again and get a reliable cable. You can, however, buy another set of jacks and have two shorter cables.

7. ^^^ You see!? ... That's why I come here! That's a great idea! Lol.

8. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Ya what the other guy said. Make two smaller cords but you'll wanna buy a new one for your main cable. You say it was 30 bucks, must have been a good one. I got a few ex caliber cables I have had for years and would be pissed if someone vandalized one or more. But if I had to replace them now I'd have to buy cheaper ones. They don't seem to make or sell them anymore, they are so nice a recording engineer saw them and offered to buy them from me when I told him I have had them since 1995.

9. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I've come across a fair number of cables where the shielding braid had disintegrated into 2 inch segments of oxidized junk. Most commonly on "heavy duty" rubber cables where the outer diameter was 3/8" but the diameter of the braid was maybe 1/8". Once that happens they're useless.

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Out my way, the local music store has very good pricing on Fender-branded cables. Burly ends, beefy cable. They've held up very well for me.

Time to replace the cable. _And_ those "friends."

11. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Maybe cutting that cable was their way of saying "This cable is completely f-ed up. Don't even think of using it!"

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    1. Go wireless
    2. Get new friends

audreycashin likes this.
  13. This was the cable.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-performance-series-right-angle-instrument-cable

Musiciansfriend / guitar center has em for 20 bucks, the mom & pop shop I got em from sells them closer to 30. I never had any problems with it. I thought it was a decent cable and I'd buy the same one again... but then again, I really don't know much about them or cables in general. Maybe that's what this is all about. Leading up to buying one of those super expensive super cables?

14. And I'm pretty sure them cutting the cable was just their way of saying "I cannot hold back my urge to destroy something". It was most likely from a non-musician. Odds are they didn't know it was my cord specifically. If they wanted to get back at me for something, there are a lot of OTHER things they could have destroyed all of which are more valuable.

15. I have the ability to do this and am pretty good at it, but it's a $20 cable. Not worth the effort. Cables are a pain in the arse to fix.

I have spare cables that are cheap (like $10 cheap) incase someone leaves one at home, for a gig. I get it back after the gig. If one has to borrow a cable for more than that they need to collect aluminum cans, sell blood plasma or something. When you can get a dissent cable for $20 there's no excuse for not having one.

16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This guy. As a matter of routine.

605496-hospital-delivery-room-with-newborn.

Fat Steve likes this.
  18. Dang it, I tried. Speaking of high school stuff and delivering babies and cutting cords... Does anybody remember that scene of Tom Green in "Freddy Got Fingered" where he delivers the baby, swings it around by the cord and then cuts the cord by sinking his teeth into it, like you might do to a licorice rope, and ultimately saves the day? I was gonna post the clip but could not find it.

19. 1. Put some live extension cords in the area, make sure they're all plugged in and look like guitar cables.

2. Invite your "friends" back.

3. Upload video to youtube. Post link on TB.

4. Get a good lawyer for what follows.

5. Remember I never told you to do this.

audreycashin likes this.
  20. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    If they really wanted to get back at you they would have pushed a pin through the jacket and shield shorting out the center conductor and then snipped the ends of the pin off. If you do it right the end of the pin is not visible. I have never done this.:bag: