Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone explain to me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JebusChrist, Jun 5, 2005.

1. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    Im in desparate need of a bass amp (ive been playing for five years, and for two of those years without an amplifier of any kind). so, im getting tired of only being able to play at school. Im avoiding the combo option, because i want the money i spend to go a long way. i though about the traditional bass head + cabinet, but i don't want to spend 1000 bucks on an Ampeg B2r and a cabinet. so im going with the pre-amp/power amplifier/ cabinet option. all i need to know is how this is set up. Im thinking about getting either a Tech 21 Sans amp rackmountable pre amp, an Ampeg SVP pro, or SVPCL, or even a BBE BMAX tube or ss. Now, let's say i get a 1000 watt power amp. what do i need to connect the pre amp to the power amp? what plug do i connect to the power amp? also, is it okay to have a 1000 watt power amp with a 400 watt 4x10 cabinet? how do i match the ohms? most importantly, what cables do i need??? Just try to give me as much info about the pre amp/power amp setup, and also give me reasons to go with the traditional head+cabinet. thanks in advance, i know im asking alot :p

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The Preamp and power amp connect with regular 1/4" plug cables...like the ones from your bass to an amp. Then from the power amp to the cabinets it can be a 1/4" plug or a speakon connection or bannana plugs...all depends on what cab you get. Most of them use a 1/4" speaker cable, though. As far as power goes...it's actually better to have more power than the cabinet is rated for...this way, the power you feed your cab will always be clean and not distorted...which is what makes a speaker blow out quicker than anything! Happy Shopping for amps! Check out Avatar cabinets for cheapys. They get really good reviews on here and are cheap as heck and handle alot of wattage!

3. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    thanks for the fast response!

4. Let me re-emphasize:

From the amp to the speaker cabinet: regardless of what type of end is on it (1/4", Speakon, or banana plugs, or even spade connectors) it's imperative that this cable must be heavy enough to carry the current....Regular instrument cables ARE NOT adequate. Use cables rated for speaker use!

It's unfortunate, in a way, that the generic 1/4 inch plug is used in so many different applications. Just because you can plug in a 1/4 instrument cable into a speaker jack, doesn't mean that it's OK.

Just wanted to clarify this.....

5. I got my Bmax and QSC USA900 power amp on the used market fpr a grand total of $365. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!
    I am also very pleased with the Avatar cabs I got new.

As said before - Instrument cable for preamp to power amp. Speaker cables with the appropriate connectors for power amp to cabs.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Your making a very wise choice, Jebus. Most people usually rip themselves off with their first rig and get something that isn't enough to keep up with an entire band.

As for what you pick it depends on your financial situation and the type of music you play, when you consider which preamp to select. As for power amps, I think the economic choice would be a QSC RMX amp. $300 for the 850 and $400 for the 1450.... both come with a 3 year warranty... unless you get one during the special where you get a free extra 3 years on your waranty. That's the situation I had, and now I'm covered till friggon 2010 :smug:

As for cabs, I'd look into Avatar. Its almost impossible to beat Avatar when your talking budget.

Also, go the extra yard and get yourself some good speaker cables. It's not worth having crappy cables that you'll have to replace anyways... so your better off just dishing out a tad more.

Just take some time to plan which set of equipment would be best for you, in terms of volume, musical style, and weight... and you'll be set.