Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone got a chart I can look at?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Wow, I didn't expect this to be so difficult. While working on learning tunes for my band I've been writing stuff out to help me remember where breaks and odd changes and stuff belong. Not so much the notes as the actual skeleton the song is built on. Is that what a chart is? I've done some searching on TB and on Google, but haven't found anything yet that really gives me a clear answer. Would someone be so kind as to post a chart or link to a chart so I can see how they are generally written out?

"Music charts" on a google search is particularly unhelpful :spit:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Chart is musical jargon typically referring to the written musical score in standard notation. I suppose someone might refer to tab as charts, but that'd be stretching it. Here's a page of the charts for The Arabian Dance from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, arranged for an ocarina ensemble.

[​IMG]

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That tambourine looks terribly hard to play..

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks Munjibunga,

The way I had seen it mentioned, I thought it was much more basic than that. I sure hadn't imagined a full staff, let alone a great staff for several instruments at once, although that sure does make sense.

Here's basically how I've been writing stuff out:

Intro: [G] [C] [G] [G D7]
    [G] [C] [G] [G] [C] [C] [G] [G] [D7] [C] [G C] [G D7]

Well it's [G] floodin' down in Texas [C]
    All of the telephone lines are down [G] [G]
    Well it's [C] floodin' down in Texas [C]
    All of the telephone lines are down [G] [G]
    And I've been tryin' to [D7] call my baby [C]
    Lord and I can't get a single sound [G C] [G D7]

Well dark [G] clouds are rollin' in [C]
    Man I'm standin' out in the rain [G] [G]
    Well dark [C] clouds are rollin' in [C]
    Man I'm standin' out in the rain [G] [G]
    Yeah flood water keep a [D7] rollin' [C]
    Man it's about to drive poor me insane [G C] [G D7]

Guitar solo:

Well I'm [G] leavin' you baby [C]
    Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay [G] [G]
    Well I'm [C] leavin' you baby [C]
    Lord and I'm goin' back home to stay [G] [G]
    Well back [D7] home aint no floods and tornados [C]
    [NC]Baabe! And the sun shines every day [G] [G]

Writing the stuff out like this helps me visualize how the song is put together so I can remember it easier, and I also send the sheets out to my bandmates. Do many people do stuff like this? Is there some standard kind of shorthand other than this? How does anyone else like to write stuff out for their own use or to share with their bandmates?

5. mmg

mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    well i do sorta the same thing except without the lyrics and much shorter and its just the progression one time for each part...

a simple one
    Intro: 8s [D] [G] [A]
    Verse: 8s [D] [G] [A] [D] 4s[G] 8s[A]
    Chorus: 8s [D] [G] [A]
    Part2:
    Verse: 4s [G] [D] [A]
    Chorus: 4s [G] [D] [A]

the "8s" denoting 8th notes and "4s" denoting quarter notes. these are jsut cheat sheets for memorizing songs though, i only use them when i am first learning a song.

6. I think you may be looking for a jazz chart. I will use this type of format when I have not had time to commit a tune to memory. In place of where the melody on a jazz chart is I will usually write out "verse", "chorus", "bridge", etc.

If you do it on staff paper you can write in a bass line or changes that might give you trouble.

http://guitar-primer.com/Charts/RB16zz.html

MODS, If this link violates any copyright laws please remove it.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Thanks guys, that's all great stuff!

I'll try writing out charts like the one in the link. I have a book of staff paper already and, at least in my experience, writing seems to be about the best way to work on reading standard notation. I've worked on it a tiny bit, now this looks like a very good idea.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Coletrane was a bastard... :p

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, but it IS in 3/8 . . . ;)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I started a music degree and nobody ever referred to this as "Charts" - whereas this term is very common in Jazz and is interchangeable with the term "Lead Sheet" .

Having played Jazz for a few years now I have been given hundreds and hundreds of charts of Jazz tunes and most commonly they are one sheet of paper with the melody and chord changes written out ...this is a "chart" :

[​IMG]

11. HA HA, I hate the bastard too. ;)

One thing I would like to add, one thing the two charts shown here does not have are changes, or different sections. If you make good use of repeat bars when you map out your tunes you should be able to fit your basic rock or blues song on one page or shorter.

This is a good example