Someone help me figure this out.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, May 15, 2005.

1. I've been running through an old tko65 combo off peavey, and I think it's extremely powered. on the back it says "65watts @ 8ohms speaker) but it also mentions that it sucks two hundred watts out of the wall. I've tried combos of the same setup (fifteen inch speaker) and nothing seems to beat it. the yorkville xm200 was louder (just barely), but it's also competed with an ibanez 100 watt amp, rogue 120b, and an ibanez b100R. i could honestly say to my ears it's just about as loud as all of them. so how much am i really pumping, and if i were to upgrade to something with 800 watts (xs800h hooked with an avatar b212 or something) would it seem a lot like twice the volume?
  2. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    The speaker probably has pretty good efficiency. This is much more critical than a little extra power.
  3. yea, i'm just trying to figure out what it'll take to get double the volume (and tone) that i have when and if i decide to make another purchase on and amp.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well best thing to do is bring your amp down to compare. good chance you have a efficent speaker that is voiced in such a way that it sounds good to you and is pretty loud. (voicing, aka frequency response as shown on a graph can dramatically affect how loud a speaker sounds much more than "efficiency" which is only measured @ 1 Khz)

even so, with a speaker cabinet that is equally as loud, every time you double the wattage you'll pick up 3 db, ten times the wattage will eb +10 db or twice as loud. of course, you'll soon overdrive the speaker in question so you'll need more of them.

if it was me, i'd find two speakers i really liked that were pretty darned loud and that could handle a good amount of watts. 8 ohm speakers would be preferable, as i could use the two of them even with a mono amp that can only go down to 4 ohms. then i'd go head or preamp/poweramp shopping.

BTW, the 200 watts it sucks out of the wall has zip to do with the watts it puts out. it just means that it's probably not energystar approved. :smug: