Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone help me in buying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markie, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    Hi, i am new here. I wanted to buy a bass and play like fat mike or mark hoppus. My budget is only $400. Can anyone introduce to me some good bass and amp. I want to play punk rock and hope my bass sound like mark hoppus's.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A used Mark Hoppus signature bass maybe. Or a Fender Standard made in mexico Precision bass.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why not buy a Mark Hoppus bass?

4. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    I hate Mark Hoppus.... :scowl:

Anyways, a used Fender P-Bass mabye, and a Fender Bassman:you could get a 60W for $200 used.
    :bassist:

5. Gretschluvr

Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    Check this out...just bought me one after playing it along with several P and J basses...I Fell in love with the Piano like lows, versatility that can give regular lows or a growl with passion!
    It has the neck similar to a Jazz, body a smaller than a precision..light weight and boy does it put out great ..much better than the P bass special that I bought. It is a preamp model.
    Sounds very good with fingers, awesome with a pick, or easily does slap if you are into that. Mine is in Sienna Burst color.

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0135800

click on Hear it and listen to the High quality sample.

Gary

6. IM WITH YOU, HE PISSES ME OFF SOO MUCH...also, hes TAKING OVER TALKBASS! theres like 8 topics with his name in the title :eek: :bawl:
    y arnt we talking about a good bassist? like jaco...or mccartney...or ANYBODY ELSE!

7. Id suggest you buy an used peavey fury bass they are very good and made in USA basses . they sell at 150-200$ and have an awesome tone , they also have a thin jazz-like neck great for starting out .

and for an amp a peavey Minx or a Fender bass amp used.

8. appler

appler Guest

I'd go with an SX Precision bass or a Made in Mexico Fender Precision bass. As far as amps go... try to get a combo amp with at least 65-100 watts so you can jam with other people.

9. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    What it takes to be a good punk rock bassist? Is technique important in playing punk rock? Are there any proper fretting method to learn?
    I mean i want to play with a pick, so do i have to learn bass techniques???

10. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    I saw in other forum people telling other that we can start with a cheap bass ( maybe squier? ) then in future, change the pickups and electronic? What is the electronics? How many and what parts does it consist of? What must i buy if i want to change it? How does the electronics affect the sound of the bass?

11. Gretschluvr

Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    A Squier Affinity P bass is a good value bass with solid alder body.
    Electronics (pickups, volume and tone control pots, plug jack)

It is an excellent starter...my only suggestion is play it first as not all Squiers are the same. Some are better than others. The P bass has a 1.75 inch wide neck at the nut. The J bass and the P bass special have a 1.5 inch wide neck at the nut and for me are easier to play due to my short fingers. Play them and decide for yourself.
    The P bass special has a Jazz type neck, Precision body and P and J style pickups both.

The electronics are their week point. Cheap jack and control pots that eventually might give you problems. If you can solder then they are easily replaced for small cost. The pickups are not the best but adaquate for bigginer to intermediate players. I liked mine ok...that is until playing the Fender Deluxe Zone bass that I have now.
    Check them out...I think you will like them as they are a good value in bass guitar.

Gary

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Yeah, I mean HOLY CRAP! There's just so many "punk rawkers" around now.

13. Buying Your First Bass and Amp

Most importantly I would advise you not to spend too much money on your first bass. Choosing the right bass won’t be easy until after you’ve been playing for a while. Once you have a good year of lessons behind you, you can make wiser choices with your (or your parents') money.

Size

Bass is a large instrument. It can be played with any size hands, but for most everyone it will require some stretching in the beginning that you are not used to. For beginners, it is a little easier starting on a bass that has a smaller neck. If your hands are smaller, go with the smaller neck. If you have large, meaty hands, go with the bigger necks if you prefer.

Tone

I could go on and on about tonal differences in basses, but in the few hundred dollars range the differences aren't that big. Get a bass that has two pickup configurations. Typically there are P-pickups and J-pickups. They are named after Fender's Precision bass and Jazz bass. The P-pickups look like two offset rectangles - one under each pair of strings. The J-pickups look like a long, thin rectangle. Both have their own sound. Also the placement of the pickups affects the tone. A beginning bass with a P-J setup will give you the most tonal variety.

Where was it made?

Most basses are now made in foreign countries. I have taught many beginner students and seen many beginner basses. The poorest quality basses seem to come from China, Mexico, Malaysia and Indonesia. The best quality basses seem to come from the U.S.A., Japan and Korea. This is definitely something you should pay attention to. It is usually clearly marked somewhere on the bass.

4-String or 5-String?

For a long time 4-string basses were your only option. Now there are 5- and 6-string basses. The difference is a 5-string bass has an extra lower string. This allows you to play 5 lower notes than a 4-string bass in standard tuning. This is pretty low! For most styles of music you don't need these lower notes. A 4-string bass can be tuned lower to get two of those lower notes. So you only really gain three extra notes on a 5-string. If you intend to play the hardest heavy metal, you probably do want a 5-string. Those extra notes will be used often.

I think it is easier to start on 4-string. Some of the technique is easier in the beginning and changing over later is not too hard. Also, cheaper 5-string basses rarely sound very good.

What I recommend

For the money, I recommend MIJ Fender basses. They are Japanese made and are very consistent in quality. They sound good, are easy to play and are built well.

What I would avoid

I would avoid store brands such as Rogue and Essex.

Buying Your First Bass Amp

You will need an amplifier of some sort. Again, you will develop unique preferences for different sounding amps so don’t spend big yet.

Watts

Watts basically describe how powerful the amp is. More watts means more power which means more volume. If you are just going to be practicing by yourself at home, you don't need but 20 to 50 watts. If you plan on playing with a guitarist or keyboard player, you may need 200 watts. And if you plan to play in a band with a drummer right away, you need 300-400 watts. You don't want to turn up an amp more than 3/4 of the way. It sounds better to have more watts not turned up so much than fewer watts turned all the way up.

Speaker Size

Don't be fooled thinking a big speaker means more bass. A good 10-inch speaker can deliver more bass than a cheap 18-inch speaker. Smaller speakers have a punchier sound and bigger speakers have more boominess. A 12-inch or 15-inch speaker should serve you well.

Get an Amp Now!

Don’t wait to buy an amp. You need something to hear yourself or you will ruin your technique! Go buy something to get going.

Practice hard and save money. When you learn how to play something, go around to all the music stores in town and play every bass and amp you can find. After a while you will begin to notice the subtle differences between various basses and amps.

Then you can make your own decision based on your newly developed ears, eyes and hands.

Good Luck and I hope you get some use from these suggestions!

See attachments for explanation of bass parts, electronics, ect.

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    thanks treena foster.... you help me alot... i got to know more now.... but no one has answer my question of how to be a good punk bassist, bass technique etc.....

15. Markie

Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    Can someone please help!!!

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi Nilmar. One account is enough, ya know.

If you have questions about punk bass technique, you'll have to ask in the "Technique" forum-you'll get your answers there. People aren't answering your technique questions because the "Basses" forum is only for discussing basses.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Nice post Treena :)

18. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Was it really necessary to quote the whole book?

Re punk "technique:" IMHO (just my opinion, mind) you don't need a whole lot of technique to be a good punk bassist. This music is about as simple as it gets. I think that if you have the ability to hit the right note more or less on time it's enough.

Some kinds of music depend on a subtle, artistic interplay between the instruments, complex chord changes, sweet melodies, fluid phrasing, precise timing, innovative rythmic structures...nah. Punk, at its heart, is about plugging in, turning everything all the way up, swallowing the microphone and screaming your nuts off. Musicianship is IMHO sort of secondary here.

What you do need to play punk credibly is a whole lot of energy and attitude. Being young enough to not hurt yourself while you're flinging your body around the stage helps. Not giving a f(*^ about being too loud, too rude, or too polished also helps.

Key punk skills shown in the attached photos of Fat Mike of nofx:

1) Being able to play with your feet four feet apart and your bass hanging low.

2) Leaping in the air in unison with the guitarist.

Like I said...attitude and energy.

I'm not a punk bassist, and never wanted to be. This is just my opinion.

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Who is Fat Mike, does he play bass?