Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone help me on my song.....

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jay61581, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Jay61581

Jay61581

Aug 7, 2002
    Nucla Colorado
    Me and my part-time bandmates made up this song entitled "Little Baby Ducks". It's more or less a jam song, as we stop and play some Vanilla Ice or Micheal Jackson during parts. Also the singer is damn good so he makes up new words and stuff everytime we play it, off the top of his head. You would probably have to be there to find this amusing.....:D

Anyway, the song is really simple and goes like this :
    VERSE
    G------------------------------------
    D------------------------------------
    A---6--------------------------------
    E-------6----4----6------------------

AND CHORUS
    G-----------------------------------
    D-----------------------------------
    A---3-------------------------------
    E-------3----1----3-----------------

Its fairly slow, like if you was to say "one and two and three and four". (bear with me, im a musical dufus)

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could help me out and make this bassline cool, maybe something like "Warning" by Green Day? Like maybe some connecting notes and stuff to make it all flow together. (Read previous statement in parentheses)

If you can hook me up let me know, I'd appreciate it.

2. just what i thought, this starts with the C (the chorus):
    G------------------------------------|
    D------------------------------------|
    A-333-2-0-----------------------0-2-|
    E----------333-1-0-111-0-1-333-----|
    but as usual, it would be better if you came up with a line of your own, just so you could grove it better

anton

3. sorry, that got a bit screwed up, but you get the just

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd suggest learning a few Green Day songs (you'll find an extensive collection of TABs in the archive), then dropping some of their bass lines into the song (you'll have to go by ear to work out which ones work).

As you jam around, let the lines morph a bit to fit the style you play; if you record the session, you'll then have a ready reference to develop further ideas - hopefully they'll gradually mutate to become your own.

Wulf

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You know, I'd love to help you, but past experiences make me a little leary of this sort of thing (some ding-dong got some ideas from me on Gothic looking bass body designs and I'm still waiting for a response and/or the "reward" I was promised). With that being said, I can tell you what I would try (bear with me, I'm a musical dufus also): Take the starting note of each measure (your root note) and build a simple walking line off of it. For example, if you are starting on the 6th fret of the A string (D#), I would play the 6th fret, A string and then play the 5th fret, D string, 6th fret, D string and 7th fret, D string. Then, I would start on the 6th fret, E string (A#) and play it, then the 5th fret, A string, 6th fret, A string and 7th fret, A string. What I just described would be tabbed like this:

G|---------------------------|
    D|----5--6--7--------------|
    A|-6-------------5--6--7--|
    E|-------------6------------|

Do you see the pattern? If so, do the same thing with the remaining notes. If it "fits" what your guitarist is playing, you can use those notes and then play them in different ways. One example would be to double up each note, like this:

G|--------------------------------------------|
    D|------5-5-6-6-7-7------------------------|
    A|-6-6---------------------5-5-6-6-7-7---|
    E|--------------------6-6--------------------|

Give that a try at your next jam session and see if it works for you. Good luck!

6. prnkng10

prnkng10

Nov 10, 2002
    bridgeport, CT
    i really liked hate gears suggestion for u of a walking line, but try the end in a kind of retreat motion up the neck instead of back down again, instead of playing (5 - 6 - 7) again play (7 - 6 - 5). My suggestion with a name like little baby duck is try some slapping and popping with the octaves and the fifths (something more punky)

like maybe ...... (*=mute)

G}----8--------------------
    D}--------8---6---8----------
    A}-66--6*---------------------
    E}-----------4---6----------:eek: