Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone help please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by metallicarules, May 7, 2001.

1. Ok, hopefully someone here knows something about fixing basses, I will try to explain my problem as elaborately as possible. I recently noticed that my tone knobs had stopped working, I could still play my bass but I could only get a punchy metallic sound I couldn't get a muddy tone at all. I opened up my bass to have a quick look and it was easy to see that two connections had been broken. One of them was a transistor(I think) that was attached to one tone knob but I could not easily see where the other end was supposed to go. I took electronics in high school so soldering it wont be a problem if I know where it goes, maybe someone here could help? I would really appreciate it.

Just in case you need to know my bass is an Ibanez GSR 200.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Two broken connections? You're just telling about one....

It looks like your tone control capacitor has gotten loose. With this in the circuit, your trebles will "get caught". It's supposed to connect the pot to ground. Just find out if it is hot or ground that is disconnected, and solder it back. Should be very easy for someone into electronics (my name is Suburban, I'm a mechanic ;))

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    As a last resort, most companies will hook you up with a tech on the phone, or email you wiring diagrams.

4. Ok, thanks guys, I should be able to fix it now.
    The reason I only mentioned the one broken connection was because I knew exactly where the other was supposed to go.