Someone I know has some leslie cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They used to be hooked up to a huge organ, and I was wondering of interesting things I could do with these.
  2. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Sell them and make a nice profit?
  3. Give them to me, preferably for free.
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    A good way to find out is to get a Leslie cab simulator. Not the same as the real thing of course, but close enough to get the feel of it. My guitar POD has one that I'll use occasionally. Hughes and Kettner also makes one called the Tube Rotosphere which Charlie Hunter uses on the guitar side of his axe.
  5. There are a couple things to watch out for on Leslie cabinets:

1) Though the accomplish what they accomplish with elegance and grace, they are a fairly complicated beast.

2) They're only rated at 300 watts.

3) If they're 122 or 147 series cabinets, they're internally amplified, which might cause problems because everything is 16 Ohm.

4) Finally, they used a pretty unique 11, 6, or 9 pin cable tun send the signal and controll everything (via a speed switch usually mounted on the organ somewhere)

That being said, these guys: can sell you and inform you on just about everything you'd ever need to be able to run a 1/4" input into a Leslie. I'm actually thinking about buying a bare road-ready cabinet from them along with all the mechanical parts, then loading it with a big Eminence 15" speaker. Mmmm-mmmm good.
  6. okay. TOTAL n00b question here. Ive heard of Leslie cabs, but what exactly are they? What makes them so special?
  7. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    It was designed to allow an electric organ to fill up a room with sound to make it sound more like a pipe organ.

The thing that really gives the Leslie its sound is a spinning horn mounted over a high frequency driver. The horn causes doppler distortion as it spins and gives the music a phase shift, vibrato, and tremolo effect at the same time . If you listen carefully to rock or blues where someone is playing a Hammond organ, you will hear the vibrato on the organ go from slow to fast or fast to slow to give effect to certain passages. That's the organ player changing motor speeds on the leslie.

The less obvious component in the low frequency part. That's a woofer mounted upward with a spinning scoop positioned above it. The scoop creates more of a temolo sound than doppler distortion on the lows.

A Leslie cabinet does not change speeds instantly, so a good simulator will ramp its speed up and down to emulate the electric motors.

For guitar, a Leslie, or simulator sounds best when you slightly distort the signal going in to it. If the guitar is not distorted enough, there won't be enough harmonics for the Leslie to really do its thing, but too much won't sound too great. I like to keep my simulator on low speed for guitar, and then switch to high speed to accent certain parts. I can't imagine a Leslie doing much for bass guitar.

They sound awesome! :cool:
  8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    For some Leslie sounds check out Santana's first album and listen to the B3 Hammond organ on 'Soul Sacrifice', or old R&B Al Green hits from the early 70's like 'Lets Stay Together'. For guitar listen to Joe Walsh early days when he was playing in The James Gang. One particular song I remember was called The Bomber on one of the first 3 albums. Anyways they sounded pretty cool. A guitar player I used to play with in Montreal had a Yamaha version of a Leslie back in ancient times and it rocked.
    Happy Hunting
  9. I used to know a bass player who used a leslie as his main cab, it sounded pretty cool. It was quite a beast to move from show to show.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There is NOTHING in the world, I say, NOTHING. That's better than a B3 with a Leslie...when played by someone who knows how to ride the volume & speed pedals properly...and knows how to play a B3 like the beast it is.

Those people are few and far between, as the B3 isn't really like playing any other keyboard.
  11. For sure! I've heard my share of people who have no idea how to play it right. But, when you hear a master....yummy.
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The guitar break in BADGE by Cream...

For bass, I'd follow OrionManMatt's suggestion...

(Sorry Indi86;) )
  13. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I love the sound of Hammond organs. I think listening to Medeski Martin and Wood got me hooked. Before that, I just thought of them as background filler.

I just bought a late 50s Hammond M3. It's kind of small, but it has the same generator as the B3. It sounds great even in its broken state. Every time I fix one part another part breaks! It will take a lot of work yet. I want a Leslie really bad to go with it!
  14. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Ya.....I forgot about Badge. I still think that was Creams finest.
  15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    To plug your bass into one, unless it has already been modified, you will need a Combo Preamp. These were made by Electro-Harmonix, I believe. They were quite common back in the sixties and I see them occasionally pop up on Ebay. Back then you had to have one to plug in your Farfisa organ. The footswitch/preamp also controlled the motors in the Leslie. Before I cut down my B3 for road work I ran a Farfisa into a 247R. Even without PA support, this setup could vibrate a half picture of beer off of a bar table onto the floor by the time I finished the organ solo on "In A Godda De Veda". Later, with the B3, I ran a pair of 122's. One Leslie was set to run at high and low speed and the other one was run with the motors off. But sometimes, just for a goof, we would run both Leslies with all the motors running for a weird "phasing" effect made by the speakers being out of sync. The Leslies were facing backwards with the covers removed. All of the horns and speaker drums spinning at the same time were very facinating for some in the audience who had ingested too many chemicals. Loud? You betcha. One night when we were doing "Soul Sacrifice" by Santana, it shattered the front window of the club. The people standing out front waiting to get in were sprayed with broken glass. Between the $150 to fix the window and my $150 bar tab I didn't make anything that week. Leslie speaker for bass?? The 247 Leslie only put out 40 watts and the 122's were only about 60 watts. So they would be too weak for bass guitar unless they were run through the PA. Plenty of power for studio work though. If you want the Leslie effect for bass it would be a lot easier to do it electronically rather than lug around the big cabinet. Sell the Leslie and use the money for bass gear. :)
  16. thanks. Im pretty sure JPJ used a Leslie on the overdriven sounding parts of heartbreaker
  17. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    It sure was, and that sound is still one of the coolest tones on led zeppelin II :bassist:

That will give you a pretty good idea of what you're in for.

Roscoe beck also uses some pedals and rackmount units in his setup that will give the effect of the leslie tone, check his site for info on that and probably some clips which feature that sound.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...last time I saw/heard a B3 being played killer was when Billy Sheehan & Niacin were wailing it out. Dennis Chambers was on drums(amazing!) & I forget the guy on the B3, but it sounded sick live!...

PS: They ain't cheap or light...
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Big Fat Bass, who's recently posted about his Dr. Bass problems plays in a band that has a great B3/leslie player. While that's not the only thing he does, he really knows all the B3 tricks to squeeze great sounds and tone from the beast.