Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Someone is cruelly tempting me...why me??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 13, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Trade what I have...

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The way the value in lakland's are going the roscoe might be a better bass for resale later.

Roscoe's are really nice instrument's. Some people aren't into the small body, but their cool basses!

I say go for it!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree with Brian.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm a Roscoe kinda guy, but

Roscoe!!!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i like the first one a LOT more. i jsut think it looks a heck of a lot better. very pretty.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm guessing some folks haven't been following the resale market. As a Roscoe owner, I have:D

Rick, the SKB's are nice basses... so is your Lakland. If resale value is an issue the current market sucks all around*... just get what you like.

Have you played a Roscoe? If not there should be lots of posts here from owners. Mine (an SKB-3007) has an excellent low end and the top sounds like a nice electric guitar. Very nice playability. Doesn't sound like a Lakland to me. My Lakland still has one of the nicest feels around IMO.

*Check this out...

9. Unless you can try before you buy I agree with Munji....stick with the Lakie.

10. that lakland is beautiful. there is one just like it for sale (a little used) at bass central

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    How much do you want for the Lakland and do you ship to UK?

12. That Lakland is extremely nice!

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...why the trade has been proposed. The Roscoe owner just got it and it doesn't fit well with his body type. I have not questioned him in detail over this. So it's not a matter of tone. This may be good or bad for me. I really need to play one first, but that's not likely soon. On the market, I watched two Roscoe 5's not sell on ebay last week, including one once destined for Kim Stone. They stalled at $1,200 or so. Laklands of this quality and condition on the other hand seem to appear rarely on the wire and seem to command $1,400 to $1, 800.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    More to the 1400 and not the 1800. About two years ago it was alittle different.
    The Roscoe is in the 1300-1500 range. So they are about the same in pricing for resale.

Laklands are falling and Roscoe's are staying the same. Roscoe's have always been at those prices and if you look at new prices on them, I believe the roscoe's are alittle cheaper new.

I think the lakland's will keep falling, although there isn't much futher they could go. The Skylines really bottomed out the US prices.

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Right about the Skylines. The line is, the 94's are this, but you can get a Skyline for this. My decision on my new Lakland to pay on the higher end of the scale was influenced by the playing time on the bass (two hours tops, kept in the case).

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I like the roscoe, but thats just my choice. I've owed a number of lakland and roscoe's, and I just think the roscoe's are alittle better built instrument.

Good luck with your choice.

17. Rick,

I have owned both and chose to keep the Roscoe (LG3005) for the neck. My hands aren't the biggest and the Roscoe necks feel less chunky than the Laklands IMHO. Tone was a toss-up with a slight edge going, again to the Roscoe for the mid shape circuit with push/pull band selectability. I don't know if the new SKB's have that option.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The 2 position mid control is standard on all of Keith's Bartolini 3-band EQ basses. He will soon be offering the new Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, but I don't know if he will be wiring it up with the 3 position switch (it has that capability). I've heard amazing things about the OBP-3, can't wait to check one out in person...

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Both basses are absolutely stunning. I'd keep the Lakie if it were me.

20. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Rick, as you know, I may be Roscoe's biggest fan. That said, I would only recommend that trade if you still have a Lakland in your herd at the end of the day.