1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Someone is ripping off our songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 1, 2008.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Hello all,

I just registered and I have to say this is a very good forum with lots of helpful info.

Last week my guitar was telling me that someone copied one of his songs, with the exact music and very similar if not the same lyrics.

He has been playing this songs for months if not years. When he logged in myspace he had a message from a guy from france i think, requesting to be added as a friend.

When he checked out the name, he had a very similar band name and with the song that he copied. When you listen to it you realize that it's almost the same.

He sent a complaint to myspace and to this guy. But obviously he just doesn't care and probably myspace will take a while to reply too.

If you want to listen to them:

My band's website, the song is "drive tru girl":
    http://www.myspace.com/theviaducts

The guy's website, the song is "bank teller girl"
    http://www.myspace.com/theaqueduct

I think this is a total hack. What do you guys recommend to do, or did you have a similar issue?

2. Razorjack

Razorjack

Dec 8, 2006
    Stockport, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, Picato Strings
    Isn't it obvious this is a parody?

3. i cant hear the songs until i get back home but if its really a rip off.
    then get your copyrights before he does! if you already havent and if you really care

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    It just a parody.

5. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    But is it a parody, when he copies the name of the band, the song and every other song that we will upload to myspace? And also make money out of it?

It would be a parody if he changes the lyrics, make them funny and actually do it with songs that are very popular in the radio.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think it's a parody of your band and it actually may be someone you or your friends know. :D IMO, they sound tigher than you guys.

Viaducts - Aqueducts...Get it???

7. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    your guitar told you all this? 1- lay off the acid 2- i dont think you have to worry about this anymore, but think about counseling.

8. I almost peed myself reading this thread and listening to the 2 tunes.

9. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    It doesn't matter if its a parody of your song or a Hannah Montana song, its a parody in the end. You don't have to be "famous" to have a song parodied, I mean you could be a garage band and have a song parodied. End of story.

10. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    i guess i was too paranoid. gotta go and take my meds

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Always copyright original songs if you're wanting to protect them. That is the only way to protect the general tune and lyrics. Without it you can do nothing.

12. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Nothing illegal since the tunes aren't copyrighted. Besides, I would be surprised if it wasn't someone you guys know messing with you.

p.s. Sorry to say it, but the "parody" band is better.

13. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    1) As soon as you wrote it you copyrighted it provided you can prove the date when you wrote it (recording/dots whatever) - in UK law anyways...

2) Its either a parody or a wind up

3) The parody is better recorded and better played (FWIW).

14. Haha...That was fun to listen to.

15. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Not true.

Any original song that is written down or recorded is automatically copyrighted. One can register their copyright for peace of mind, but it is already copyrighted nonetheless.

Parodies fall under a special category of the law, however. In this case there's nothing the OP can do.

16. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    What I meant was for all intents and purposes there's nothing illegal because I highly doubt anyone is using the song for financial gain. Technically it's illegal, but good ******* luck getting someone prosecuted on it. Now, if it was actually registered it would be more cut and dry and a cease and desist would be much easier to obtain. But, yeah I guess you're right.

p.s. I've never had to deal with this sort of thing, but that's my understanding from years of dealing on the fringes with and around music.

17. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    About the recording, this is a typical discussion of loudness.

Even so I was not yet in the band when this was recorded. We are talking about dynamics vs volume.

In the original song, you can hear the vocals well, also the solo in the middle. The parody it's obviously louder, you barely understand what he is saying, the solo was not mixed correctly. On both songs you can barely hear the bass, if there is any.

I do welcome the critics and I will ask them to record it again in my studio and see how it sounds.

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You should listen again to both recordings, there more to it than loudness, the parody track is rhythmically tighter.

19. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Nothing could be further from the truth. Even the poor man's copyright (mailing a copy to yourself) would not stand up in court. If you value your material, do it right.

20. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Regardless of what will stand up in court, copyright is automatically granted the instant the song is put in tangible form.