1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Someone Isn't Telling Me The Truth

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DooWop14, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DooWop14

DooWop14

Mar 30, 2008
    I've been told that the older (black face post 2000) Fender Bassman 400 and the newer silver face "Pro" models are exactly the same, except for the carpeting and color of the face. While other people tell me that they're entirely different animals. Still others tell me that the newer ones are slightly technically upgraded versions of the black face ones that (ready for this?) some people say are better and others say are worse. Can anyone give me the straight poop on the differences, if any, between the black face and silver face models?:help::help::help::confused::confused:

2. wha_cat.

3. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

I know what your talking about (as far as models go) and I dont think there is a difference besides cosmetics.

4. DooWop14

DooWop14

Mar 30, 2008

I know.... right?

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    The early runs of the Bassman 400 and the rest of this series had bad q.c. problems with the trace solder connections getting easily cracked. I can't remember the exact year of production involved with the problems, but Fender went back and did some redesign work to resolve the situation; and the latter black face 400's were a pretty decent amp once the fixes were made. As for any major differences between them and the newer white face series, I can't say.